Most importnant vaccines to you?

My daughter is 17 months still breastfeeding and co sleeping. The problem that I am having is my husband wants my daughter to have her vaccines. I have held off as long as I can but he is very pushy when it comes to this. SHe has an appointment tomarrow for her 15 month check up and is schedualed for a few shots. She had one set of vaccines at 5 months and that is it. I went to the clinic and got the religous exemption and I have found a doc that will work with me with her vaccines..

The thought of my baby girl getting shots tomarrow has me on edge. Im a nervous wreck.

SO, the question that i have is.... if it was you and you worked out a deal (sounds lame i know) with my hubby that we would do "certin" vaccines and some we wouldnt do. No Chicken pox no rota virus. not the convience vaccines..
SO, I am going ot allow her to have 3 shots tomarrow. Which are the most important to you.

Mommy-2-Jabe06

Asked by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Health

• The truth is that they don't know which vaccines cause autism or encephalitis, etc. There's a percentage of kids that are affected yearly. There is much debate on this. If your child doesn't work in a hospital or isn'[t a drug user, they can avoid the Hep b shot, chicken pox we all got as a kid, but MMR, Polio and the dtap and hib are probably important. It is a tough choice. You could try spreading them out or waiting till baby is older. Not vaccinating can be deadly too. I went back and forth as well. My infectious disease friend who is a Harvard grad, vaccinated her kid fully. Another friend who is a medical doc did not. Go with your gut.
    Anonymous

• DTap, Polio, MMR and HIB. They can combine your DTap and HIB. I feel that these are the most deadly viruses out there. I also believe that prevnar is a convenience vaccine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• none, sorry. I am sure you have tried but have you shown your SO facts about vaccines and how they don't really protect? If he knew all the facts then he might reconsider. A good book that I like Is by Dr. Sears The Vaccine Book. He is pro-vax but the book tells you what is in each vaccine, what it is supposed to protect against, why some parents choose not to get it, what your chances may be of contracting it, etc.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Mine get everything that can be deadly or cause long term damage if they were to catch the disease. Measles, Mumps, Diptheria, Rubella, Whooping, Chicken Pox etc. There is a reason for the vaccines and I just cant imagine my child dying or having something they have to live the rest of their lives with because I chose not to give thema shot. A better person to ask about which vaccinations are best would be someone in an old folks home. They may have lived through various diseases or had loved ones die and can tell you why they are important.

Answer by gemgem at 3:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• LOL. GEM GEM.. That took alot of thought. This wasnt ment for debate. But obviously its going to. My grandmother was born in 1925. SHe is against vaccines. So, I guess I should pick your answer as the best answer!! lol.

Oh and Chicken pox isnt deadly. I had chicken pox twice. That vaccines is all about convienence. . My opinion.
    Mommy-2-Jabe06

Answer by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• For us, none of them. The only disease I was worried about was pertussis but after a year it is no longer a threat so there wouldn't be a point at 17 months.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Also for a breastfed infant HIB is not something your baby is likely to catch. There is no point in getting polio since there hasn't been a case of wild polio in the uUS since 1979 and the western hemisphere hasn't seen a case since 1991. The risk of pertussis and death ends at about a year old. MMR is useless and one of the more dangerous vaccines. None of those three are deadly diseases. It's a lot to think about. Have you read the Sears Vaccine book?
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I havent read the book. But ive read alot of stuff online and alot of my close friends dont vaccinate. I read alot of information on Dr Sears webiste. and have done my own research. Im trying to gather as much info as I can to take into the doctors office with me so when she says she needs this vaccine or that vaccine I can say no she really doesnt she is almost 18 months.

Im not sure how much longer I want to breastfeed for. But on the other hand my daughter has *another choice here.. She is not wanting to stop nursing. My doc is supposed to help me wean her.

This is just so hard. One one hand I know that she needs certin ones. but on the other hand she doesnt need them. When I went to the health department to get our exemption, I had to jump thru so many hoops. and hear so many lectures. And was even told that not giving her vaccines was a form of child abuse.. I mean what bull!!

Mommy-2-Jabe06

Answer by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009