How old is too old?

My son is 2 1/2 and has always showered with me. My husband works most of the day and if it wasn't for him showering with me I would never get a shower! He's too young to trust to run around the house by himself while I'm in alone, so I just sit him down in the shower too and he plays with his toys. He doesn't ever pay any attention to me or anything, so I've never felt weird about it, but I mentioned something about it to a family member awhile back not thinking anything of it and they acted like I was a weirdo or something. Now I'm wondering if he is too old? I just assumed when he started questioning or pointing things out that that would be the time to stop and since he never has it still wasn't a big deal. He showers with his Daddy on the weekends when he's home and never mentions anything then either, so I don't even think he pays attention to the difference at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there a wrong age? I think it depends on both of your comfort levels. I also shower with my daughter who is 2, obviously we are the same sex so there is less of a social stigma attached but my daughter also showers with her dad or both of us. I don't see anything wrong with it. My siblings and I took bathes together until they or I insisted on privacy, so up until about pre-school age. I still remember taking showers with my sister when I was little and she was in high school. It was just never a big deal in my family. My YMCA gym allows children to accompany their opposite sex parents into the locker room until what they refer to as pre-school age also.

In Europe they are much more liberal about this kind of stuff and this probably would have never come up. Adults, children, elderly people don't see an issue with being nude in front of each other, nudity is not banned from public media.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 12:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• well if hes not saying anything bout your body parts and isn't touching you or anything i would say its ok but stop before hes 3
    Anonymous

• if the shower is close enough to the his bedroom do what i do put the baby gate up and take a quick shower..i think 2 is to old to be showering with mommy..but then again i never felt comfortable after my son could stand up taking a shower with him..thats what daddy does lol..anyways just use a simple gate and make sure his room safe for him to be alone in for 15mins..my son usually watches a movie or sits with books...good luck..
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's really up to you. I've never showered with my kids because I feel like shower time is "me time". I usually shower when the boys are taking a nap. Do what works for your family. My boys take baths at night as part of their bed time routine so showering with me during the day was never an option.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't think 2 is too old. I still bath with my 2 year old almost every day. That is still a baby. DOn't sweat it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Its fine
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I kinda thought of age 3 as a cut-off point too. I figured then he'd be a little safer on his own for a few minutes while I was in alone, but for now I just don't think so, so hence the reasoning he gets in with me. I wish shower time was "me time" but for now it seems impossible, lol. Oh, and my son climbs his baby gate; I have even tried setting it about a foot off of the floor to make it taller...he still climbs it and then tumbles off the other side. It's worrisome, so I never even bother to use it anymore.
    Anonymous

• I have a 2 1/2 old little girl and she noticed her daddys different parts so to keep him involved with her if she wants him to take a bath with her he gets in in his boxers
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 4:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My DD takes a bath with me every night. We try not to let her see my DH naked, since she stares and it makes him uncomfortable. I say it's fine, until someone is uncomfortable, or he starts noticing too much.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 7:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My 2.5 year old son showers with me. He loves it because then I can color the walls with him with his bathtub crayons. I don't see a problem to it. He will sometimes point to my areas and I just explain that he has one thing and mommy has another. He does the same thing to hubby when they shower together and he just says yeah it's like your's.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009