Do you ever tell close-standers to back off?

You know those people who stand waaayyy too close to you in line? Have you ever told someone to back up? Or do you put up with it and hope to get through the line quickly? I was waiting in line today and this lady was way, way too close to me. She reeked of ciggarette smoke and I am pregnant so due to my super-sensitive nose I felt like throwing up. I tried as politely as possible to ask her to back off since I was not feeling well. I didn't tell her she absolutely stunk, but she still seemed offended. Are you one of those close-standers?? If so why, oh WHY, do you stand so close? Haven't you ever heard of personal space?? Do you think it will make the line move faster?? LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Close-stander!! LMAO! That sounds like a Seinfield term. Yea, I hate it when people do that too. I have tried back-handed comments like accidently bumping into them and saying, "Oh! I am sorry. I didn't realize you were so close!" My husband will take a whole different avenue and start loudly talking about his infectious rash, or explosive diarrhea. It is SOO embarrassing!!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ha ive yelled at people before ive asked what do i smell pretty to you or something i cant stand those that get close like that lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• lmao anna that sounds like something my husband would do
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh god I hate those!!
    And yes I will turn around and say something.
    If I can feel you breathing down my neck then I will tell you get a breath mint and back off lol
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have a cure- start coughing. keep cough, turn your head and keep coughing. You can rasp out that you must have what is going around so they may not want to stand very close to you. The cough can go away when you get more space.

I discovered this when I had a doctor's appointment. The seats were all taken except for one between two people who had drifted as much as they could into the empty seat- which was probably why nobody tried to sit there. Well I had a back injury and needed to sit. I also was having an asthma flare-up and had a terrible cough. It wasn't long before the people moved into their own seats, and then not much longer before they got up and I had plenty of space around me. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 4:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I hate it too. At first I try moving up a bit, but if they move up too I let them know that they are a little too close for comfort. If they still don't move I tell them again in a not-so-nice manner! I have can't-keep-my-mouth-shut-itis so I HAVE to say something!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 4:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

ya but i bet they back up fast after they hear your husband say that stuff!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yea they do!! We have even had people go to other lines! My husband has no shame and my face easily turns bright red!! It is hilarious!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My hubby will start farting loudly to make them back off! It's so embarassing, but it works! Lol
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 4:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I will turn around and give them the look that says "Back off!" and it has worked every time. I also don't understand the close-standers. I don't smell THAT good, do I? j/k

I like the farting idea. Maybe I'll try that next time. he he he
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009