Buying a car seat at a place like TJ Max

Ok, so i have got to buy a new car seat because daughter is outgrowing infant one. I was looking at them at babies r us and target and they were ranging from $100.00-$300.00. Then i went to TJ Max , and saw that they sale car seats now. They had one of the ones like i was looking at. But i am worried about buying one at a place liek that because i don't know if something is wrong with it. I mean they were saleing at half the price. What is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think thats ok. Its just because the retailer had overstock not because something is wrong with them.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I would buy it from TJ Maxx because everything they have their they have for a reason and most the time if its not clothes it's got a slight defect on it. it's probably not a safety issue but I guess you could just buy it keep the receipt and then take it to the hospital or the fire department and have them check it over to make sure it is okay. Because when you think about it they can't legally sell you a car seat that would break or harm your childin some way.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 4:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i have bought stuff at TJ Maxx and others of the same sort, and you have to REALLY check the stuff out before you buy it. i have had irregular things that i would not have purchased otherwise if i had known. for a carseat, i would see if they will let you take it out of the box and test it out, put your daughter in it to make sure it will fit, etc. you do have to be really careful- that stuff is generally cheaper for a reason.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• They would not be able to sell a defective car seat unless they want a lawsuit on their hands. It probably just didnt sell at other stores. I would buy it from there without any hesitation. As with any safety item, you check it out...no matter where you buy it from.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• They can't sell them if something is wrong. I've bought them at Big Lots. They have them at excellent prices!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Like others have said, they can't sell them if there is a defect. Just see if you can open the box and check the expiration date. It's not really a good deal if you can only get a years use out of it :)
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 4:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• They can't sell carseats that have any problems, it's illegal. Those are fine.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Thats what TJ Maxx is for selling for half price, its not just car seats its clothes too that doesnt mean its unsafe, they cannot do that its illegal
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would suggest checking the expiration date on the seat. They might be selling it cheaper because it might be a slightly older model, and therefore might expire sooner then if you bought it somewhere else.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Check out www.consumerreports.com or the manufacturer to see if their has been any recalls on the model you are considering. If there are no recalls then it is fine to buy @ a discount place.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 7:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009