ethics?

SS (10) BM is acting as a school psychologist in his school district for the remainder of the school year. He told us she is doing it for free and next year they will pay her. I don't understand, but I don't care either, except that he told us that she is telling him about the cases she gets. He told us that she isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, but she has told him things here and there. No names of course, but still...like she told him that one of the kids she counseled was made to watch porn by his friends' parents. Now I have worked in school for years and I know how things gets out quickly. I don't see how it is ethical or professional of her to confide anything in SS when it is her job to keep the confidence of these children. Am I wrong? Is it okay for her to tell SS personal things about the kids (some of which might be in his school or grade) that she is supposed to help them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• She is so wrong. First, she should not be telling a 10 year old that sort of things. Secondly, it is confidential information and should not be leak. I work for a malpractice insurance company I dont discuss anything with my dh and he is an adult.
    Anonymous

• I think if you tell a child things like this you are stripping away any innocence he has left in him. She needs a gossip girlfriend to talk to. Who in there right mind would tell a child about these things anyway?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• First off youre right its none of your business. Second no she shouldnt be doing it but again its none of your business. What do you care what she tells her son or not or where shes working? I mean really?
    Anonymous

• This is the OP:

All it would take is for SS to say something to someone on the play ground and he would be in the middle of drama that he shouldn't have been put into in the first place. Our town is small. I care about his well being. And once things are brought up in my home it becomes my business.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, she'll probably end up losing her job or even her license over this. Children don't keep secrets (heck we don't either!). It will come out and it won't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the information came from.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• MamChamp, that is what I mean, things get out. And I don't want SS to be blamed if she gets in trouble. I just feel like he is being put in a bad position.
    Anonymous

• oops, sorry MamaChamp, didn't mean to mess up your name:)
    Anonymous