why is my 3 month old anti-social?

Can baby wearing make a baby anti-social? My son is almost 4 months old and has I'v been baby wearing practically since he was born. Now when strangers or anyone besides me or daddy talk to or hold him he cries is this normal? How can I make him more social?

gabe11-14

Asked by gabe11-14 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry, I just read Nika's response and completely disagree. Some people are more social/independent/political than others. You can't attribute that to parenting. People are different and that's a healthy and good thing. We all need to have different talents/gifts/personalities, otherwise we'd all be good at/enjoy the same things and life would be pretty boring.
    I also disagree that you need to force your little one to be held by others so he'll become more social. He's 4months old! He was barely ripped from his cozy womb and he's still acclimating to this scary world. Having his parents there for him is the best thing you can do for him right now. He'll come around and decide he likes some other people, but I think it's good if he's selective. He'll be less likely than really social kids to go with a kidnapper! That's a bright side
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• LMAO
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's funny
    gabe11-14

Answer by gabe11-14 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Sounds like you've made him WAY dependant on you. I think maybe wearing him constantly probably could have done that. My best suggestion is to just have others hold and play with him. Yes, he may cry, but he needs to get used to other people.

My son is the exact opposite, He's 16 months old and almost too independant. He'll pretty much go to anyone, and doesn't care who I leave him with! He's always been passed around and held by so many people, he's usually fine with most people, even strangers.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• how normal are visitors to your home? If you lead a very quiet life with little or no outside interaction then it is possible that baby is uncomfortable around others, this is also the age where they are more aware of what is familiar, start letting baby interact with people start out with baby in your arms facing the person and have the person talk to them gently and once baby seems okay with this then sit baby up between youad continue intereaction, eventually you can move to let the person hold baby let them start by just holding hands.

we had to do this with one of my daycare kids she was gone for amonthand when she came back she was suddenly afraid of anyone but me, not she is happy and playful and lets everyone talk to her and play with her.

it just takes time and no its not funny its frustrating.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Are you effing serious!!! A three month old can't be anti-social!! Grow up and learn about your baby.
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone for the feedback and the anonymous person, get a life I asked for help not a**holes passing judgment under an anonymous account
    gabe11-14

Answer by gabe11-14 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it's really good that your baby prefers you and your husband so much, to me that means you're both doing a great job! My mom said that when I was a baby, I only wanted to be held by her and my aunt. To this day, I'm very selective about people, so maybe that's just your son's personality.
    Babywearing gives babies security, don't think that you've done anything wrong for your little one. He might not be a social butterfly, but not everyone is, and you can't blame it on yourself for babywearing
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• both my kids wre very social! and I have never heard of baby wearing?............ every baby if different if you are going to be a sahm than you are ok but, if you are planning on going back to work you may want to consider getting her aquanted with other ppl
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 4:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think this is something baby will grow out.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 5:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009