What do you think of moms who have their children out late?

Let's say you are at Wal Mart around eleven or midnight or later and you see a mom with her baby, or toddler out shopping. What do you think of her? Do you think she is a bad mom for not having her kids in bed that late? What if they are school age kids and it is a week night? Would you assume they must home- school? Or would you think she is awful for not having them in bed early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think, "Wow they must be like me!" My whole family has always been night owls and no matter how hard I have tried to keep an early schedule it never sticks. I had to wake up early everyday throughout school and when I worked, but biologically I would always be more alert and happy at night, even when I should have been exhausted. It is stupid to judge others on such a miniscule thing like bedtime schedules! If you really have to nitpick on others for when they are awake and when they are asleep YOU are the one with issues, not the ones up late. As for school age kids out late, you never know, maybe they home school, maybe they took a long nap that day, maybe their school starts later, maybe they are sick and won't go to school the next day. To automatically assume you know about other people's lives is dumb.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• home-schooled, sorry.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt think anything because I wouldnt be at walmart that late. Id be home in bed, like my kids.

Answer by gemgem at 4:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have never really thought of it. My daughter used to stay up later and sleep in when she was little.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Honestly, I'd not think anything. It's not my business to judge. I know my 2 yr old is a night owl thou, so I'm one of the moms that has had her kid at Wal Mart at 11 o'clock...
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 4:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't judge others based on whatever schedule works for them. Only issue I don't like is when parents give in to their kids who scream their head off for a dang toy. Annoying!
    Anonymous

• In theory Gemgem. Like you had to go out late for medicine, diapers, milk, or something "urgent". Or you had to take up a job working nights.
    Anonymous

• I shop at WalMart LATE - like midnight or later because I hate crowds. (My kids are home asleep with my S/O) ...anyway.....I see kids of all ages out shopping with their parents - some sleeping in the carts. Not sure if I call it bad parenting. Maybe stupid parenting. Especially when the kid is so tired he/she knocks out in those uncomfortable carts. I like bed times ..but that is just me!
    Anonymous

• I hate to see that. I think its bad parenting. When its a baby I understand because babies are on wierd schedules sometimes. But children should be in bed.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would say whatever because there are times when I have had to go to Wal Mart or K Mart to get something..If I forgot wipes or diapers or need medicine or my hair dryer, I have to take them with me because It's just me. My husband is in Iraq. They could be bored to tears and alone and just have the urge to get out. My young ones are seldom in bed before 11.
    Anonymous