All you moms who suggest to get a blood test if HPTs are coming negative

How do I go about getting one?Do you just call your doctor and ask for one? Last month when I was late, I went to my doc she gave another urine test and said it was negative, even when I specifically asked if I could get a blood test...she said no I can do a pelvic exam and tell you one way or the other... I dont want to give her a visit everytime I am late and hoping for some answers... what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• The only way you can get a blood test is if the dr orders it. The only way the dr will order it, is if there's sufficient evidence that you may be pregnant. If this isn't the first time your period is late without being pregnant, then she probably won't order one.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Go to a different doctor!!! I know that my OBGYN office uses the same HPT that I would go buy from CVS or anywhere like that, so if I wanted to waste my ime on that, I wouldnt go to the Dr's office to do so!! How late are you? Call around and let another Dr.'s office know your situation! Im sure that they will work with you =)
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 4:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ya the dr orders it but also a dr can do a pelvic exam and believe it or not tehy can tell you if it looks like you rperiod is going to start and they can usually tell you if it looks like you are pregnant thenthey usually will order one the only way to get arond it is if you went to the er for something they ALWAYS run blood pregnancy tests lol i can tell you how many times i was told i was pregnant during this pregnancy by er people lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Are you taking the HPT in the morning? If this is your first time, that's something that you might not know. I would wait and see if you can come up with a positive. Do EXACTLY what the HPT says. Use morning urine and wait the amount of time you should. If you see even a slight light (depending upon the test) you could be pregnant. When I found I was pregnant with my DD, I took a HPT and it had one solid line and a faint second line. I called my doctor and I was certainly pregnant. You also need to relax. If you're stressed about getting pregnant, you could be delaying your period without even realizing it. Good Luck!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am 10 days late and I am trying for my second one... never had the problem with 1st pregnancy as I conceived the very first month and I waited until I was 10 days late to test and it turned out BFP, this time I have tested already 3 times...My periods were very regular after I had my first child... only last month I was late and now I am again late...
    Anonymous

• Your doctor has to order it. You must follow the rules of your doctor and your insurance company. Some doctors will not write scripts for tests unless they see you in their office first. Depending on insurance plan, your insurance might also require that they see you in their office first, do an exam and/or a urine test before they will agree to pay for a blood test. You will need to call your doctor to find out what you need to do.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Your doctor has to order the blood test. Have you tried going to your local family planning clinic. At most Family Planning Clinics you can get either a urine...which is what they usually do..but they give you the option to pay about $20 (at least the last time I checked) for the blood test.

Good Luck
    Letticia

Answer by Letticia at 7:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• A pelvic exam can determine pregnancy. The color and texture of your cervix changes and your Dr. will be able to feel the size and position of your uterus. The Dr. will need to do one anyway so go ahead and let her.
    Anonymous

• If you are testing with an HPT after your period is already late then they are as accurate as the one your doctor gave you. There is no need to get a blood test every month just because HPT's are negative. They are pretty accurate if used correctly, (not too early).
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The last time that I was late, I was late 2 whole weeks. I was on Birth Control Pills so took 2 HPTs and they came out negative. I phoned my docotr's office and the head nurse told me to come in for a blood test. The test was negative but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I would have been ecstatic if it would have been positive but I wasn't all that hurt that it was negative since we weren't trying to conceive like I said I was on BCP.
    iwantwins

Answer by iwantwins at 4:18 PM on May. 16, 2009