emergancy c-sections (just a question iv been wating to ask)

im just trying to find some stuff out

im sure every mom to be worries about have to get an emergancy c-section or is that just a few????

any way do they just give u meds that knock u out

or do they take the time to give u the pain meds??????

i want to go for an all natural birth

im 40 weeks and even if i get induced im gonna try to do it natural

but if i do end up need a c-section i want to know wut they will most likey do

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on the situation. If you already have a spinal in place then they will just numb you some more. If you don't have one in and they don't have time because the baby's heart rate is dropping or something like that then they'll knock you out. They will try to avoid knocking you out as much as possible because it's best for you and baby. Good Luck!! Congrats!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• they will give you a spinal and if it doesnt take then they will "knock " you out my friend sara had to have that done im scared to death of csection lol im sure thigns will go fine your 40 weeks most drs give nother week or two
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• you know, i asked my doctor this very question.. see i had a scheduled csection, and i asked what was the difference in an emergency, unplanned csection, and a planned csection, and he said, well, most people say an emergency csection but its really an unplanned one, and that timing is all the same.. they do things by the book... by the time i was prepped and ready, my son was out in less than 45 mintues. i went inat 730 for prepping, and he was out at 816... he said we dont rush, if the baby is in dire need, we totally knock mom out, but if the baby isnt coming and is stuck, we will give her a spinal and then continue on.... and as far as my csection was concerned.. i had no pain, was out of bed after 5 hours... and walking around.. i did have pain, when going to the bathroom number 2... thats why they give you stool softners..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 5:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh, it takes about 20-30 minutes to get the spinal in place and sometimes longer if the anesthesiologist isn't available right away.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it depends on the circumstances of the emergency. If the baby is literally dieing or in severe distress they will knock you out, I know this from experience. I was hoping to go natural, but my daughter was going into such distress that they literally had only a few minutes to get her out so I was put under anesthesia. When you are put under anesthesia they have only a short time before it will also hit the baby(which they don't want) so they really have to work fast, my daughter was out in under 4 minutes from when I went out.
    Anonymous

• i had an emergency C-Section, and they gave me an epidural once they got me in the OR. My son was breech, I went in at 37 weeks to have him turned (which I would have preferred them to pull my right leg off and beat me with it, "turning" him was so painful)...them doing this sent me into labor but since he was still butt down, they had to get him out of me. I have a friend who was put to sleep, I think it just depends on what the emergency is. In my case, my son wasn't in distress, but he sure as heck wasn't coming out butt first, which eventually would have distressed him. In my friend's case, the baby's life was in danger...putting her to sleep was probably the quickest thing to do.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It really depends on what is happening. When I had my c/s I already had an epi in so they just switched the meds from a regular epi to whatever they use for a c/s. Plus my c/s was because after 16 hours of labour we dicovered my baby was breech. He was doing well, heartbeat was great, so it wasn't a case of they had to get him out now or else. There was meconium, so it was urgent, but not emergent to deliver him.

They may try to give you a spinal, but they may just need to do a general if there are time constraints. It is not the end of the world to have a c/s. So much pressure is put on moms to have the "perfect" birth, whatever that is to you, so that if something doesn't happen according to plan they are left feeling guilty about not being able to follow their plan. As long as in the end mom is healthy and baby is healthy, does it really matter if mom had drugs or a c/s or not? Good luck and congrats!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was in labor for 38 hours and had the epidural but it wasn't working properly. Then by the time they decided a emergency c-section was needed, there was NO time to get a spinal or another epi. They knocked me out and it was rushed.... b/c my baby was stuck and it was a matter of life or death. They even kicked my Hubby out and told him to go wait. After it was over, they gave baby to my Hubby and I wen tto recovery. I was so out of it for hours, I don't even remember the first time I held him.... I at least have a picture! My second one I chose to have b/c the baby passed away at 29 1/2 weeks, they again knocked me out b/c the baby was gone and I didnt want a spinal. My Hubby was allowed in only b/c it was special circumstances. I was aware of my surroundings much sooner b/c it wasn't so much that happened b4 I was knocked out. My third I will ahve a spinal.....ekk
    !
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009