Hungry baby?

I'm guessing my son is having (another?) growth spurt already. He turned 3-weeks old on Saturday and seems to be constantly hungry. He is formula fed due to physical issues I have and he will take about 4 oz. at every feeding - on average about 8 bottles a day! So I'd estimate for the last 3 days he's had somewhere between 30-32 oz. a day. Does that seem like way too much, or is it just me?

The thing is, we're taking all the cues from him - we make sure he's clean & dry, doesn't have to burp, isn't cold, isn't hot, everything...and he still tries to eat his hands off. He's never even spit up once (yet, I'm sure it's coming).

I'm going to ask the ped at his 1-month checkup next week, but just thought I'd get some input from other mommies out there. Is he really just this hungry??

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say it may be too much milk but only because my son is 11 months and his pedi told me that is how much he should drink daily but I am not a dr so I would just ask his pedi like you said. But does he have very hard poop or act constipated cause my son had this and his pedi said I was givin him too much milk.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 5:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• my son is 3 months and his dr said thats to much for him they said my son is only suppossed to get 24 oz a day
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No, he has regular pees & poops! And he doesn't ever spit up. He belches like a champ. That's what has me confused.
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• he could be fine, but i would ask the doctor. My Mom swears my oldest brother always over ate because she feed him every time he cried. and he never turned it away, he always took it.
    Not saying you are doing this. But I would ask the doctor, it's not something you want to second guess later.
    Anonymous

• By asking the doctor I mean I would call the office tomorrow and ask the nurse, not wait until next week.
    Anonymous

• my best friends son was the exact same way! that boy could eat like crazy! and he was never a fat baby, he never got sick from it, he was just hungry! its normal. every child is different in the amount of food they eat, and im sorry, but the people that said its too much, seem a lil off to me. if the kids hungry, hes hungry. He obviously is since hes not spitting up or anything. try giving him 6 oz at a time, and spreading out the feedings a bit, that may help your sanity =) but it is normal for him to be hungry, maybe not every kid goes through this, but he is, and that makes it normal for him!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I guess I'll be the only one to say I don't think its a big deal in a 24 hour period. That is 8 feedings total, eating aprox 4 ounces at every feeding, aprox every 3 hours. I think that sounds about right, honestly. If he weren't hungry, he wouldn't eat. And its not like he is spitting it all back up. I wouldn't worry about it. Each child is so different!
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 5:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If he's hungry, feed him. My boys each took 8oz of formula (not milk) every 2-3 hours at SIX WEEKS. So what you describe is "normal" for me!

If he's not spitting up, you're good. If he takes less and is fussy, he needs it. If he is full after a bottle, you're good.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Hello. My son is 7wks and eats 5oz every 2-3 hours. He weighs 14lbs already (he weighed 10 when he was born. The Pediatrician told me not to feed him that much to only feed him every 5-6 hours (yeah right). But I'm sorry if my child is hungry Im going to feed him. I dont know what your Pedi will tell you but I would do what you feel is right for your child. Good Luck.

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with those who say feed him! My son had growth spurts constantly and grew like crazy. He had, and still has, a HUGE appetite. He was nursing so I don't know how much he ate. But I would pump when he was only a month old and get over 8 ounces! He is only 3 and eats as much as me now. He is very tall but not overweight (has been that way since birth - 23 inches!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009