Counseling?

Has anyone tried it just for themself? I haven't been myself since my fiance left me. We talked about going for our relationship, then he decided he didn't want to go. Should I still go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I think that it could be really good for you! Counseling can definitly help you with any "left over" feelings you may be having or questions about yourself that have arisen due to the breakup. (haven't all of us that have been dumped wondered if there was something wrong with us?!)

I say go for yourself. It can be a great way to not only get over the breakup, but also maybe work on any other issues you may have. Liking yourself more, making better life choices, etc.

I did individual therapy (started for abuse-healing and then on growing my self esteem) for about 2 years...then both my therapist and I decided I was ready to go on without counseling. And then I had a couple of months where hubby and I did couples therapy to strengthen our realtionship and learned to communicate better.

So, its worth it. And its ok/normal..doesn't make you a nutcase...lol...good luck and feel better!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The quality of the counsler makes the difference . It can be nice to have someone whose sole job it is just to listen to you . That they are trained (hopefully) to help you deal with stuff can be a nice benifit to. sometimes you need someone who isnt your family or friends.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 5:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• it has worked wonders for me but you have to get the perfect counselor. which i had. she was great.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I found it to be very helpful, but like the other moms said, it really depends on the quality of the counselor. Do some research, ask some questions, don't be afraid to ask about a "trial session" where you get a feel for the counselor as a person, and ask your friends/family if they have any recommendations.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2009