How can I get my son to eat?

my son is 4. Ever since he has been 2 he has been a picky eater. He only has been wanting to eat roman noodles,applesauce,pudding.And all he wants to eat is junk food! like fruit snacks,suckers. Well, now he wont eat anything.Ive tried and tried to get him to eat and he wont.He covers his mouth...and says no its grose.Well, I took away his candy and milk. I made a poster and Im buying some stickers by the days of the week.If he eats he gets a sticker. And at the end of the week, he gets a prize. Anyone else have any good ideas? I know hes hungry..hes just being stubborn.Its also scaring me since my husband is diabetic and runs on both sides of the family.Im pregnant with my 2nd..im 10 wks. Ive been so stressed over this.Im scared hes going to pass out somewhere.Please help!!!!! Anyone have any kids that have done this???

rachwater

Asked by rachwater at 5:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He will eat when he is hungry. give him him food for dinner and if he doesn't eat it wrap it up and put it in the fridge. When he is hungry pull it out and warm it up. At the next meal give him something else (like if he doesnt eat anything and goes to bed hungry I would give him oatmeal for breakfast) he will eventually eat what you give him. I have to pull out the trash can and literally take every bit of junk out of our house because my daughter would take two bites and ay is that enough for dessert? She finally learned to eat her dinner and not just enough bites for dessert. All she wanted was junk and we just had to quit having it for awhile in the house.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Ria7: How long did it take of the re-heating tactic for your daughter to start eating dinner? I've tried this w/ my son. I wrap up dinner, refuse to give him an alternative, and then offer if the next day for lunch - so I have the whole afternoon to wear him down when he complains of being hungry. But by next evening dinner time he still refuses to eat, so I panic and give him something he likes for ex. cereal, oatmeal, or mac & cheese! How long will the standoff last?
    vivianirene

Answer by vivianirene at 8:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I give dd her dinner. If it is something she has never had I will let her get away with not eating it and I give her some fruit. I tell her she has to have fruit or a veggie as a snack before she has anything else. If it is a food that I know she likes and she is being a pain I will leave it out for her for a little while and if she tells me she is hngry I remind her about her dinner. Usually that works or sometimes she just doesnt eat. But a kid that yound will eat eventually.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't usually heat it the next day. I will only reheat it that night. When I have a new meal for lunch I will just give her what we are having for lunch. I never cave and give her something else. If it is a meal she hates like chili I always have an alternative like pbj sndwich for her and she eats our veggies. If I make veg soup and she hates tomatos she eats her soup with not tomatos. She just know Im firm and she will go to bed hungry or eat. the next day I start with all new meals. It works well for us and she eats a ton of veggies. I also let her pick sometimes. I will say we are having grilled chicken would you rather have broccoli or peas with it?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I also give her dips so she can dip everything. Their have been nights she will have a salad plate and put ketchup, bbq, mustard and ranch in little squirts and she will see which one is better on green beans. She eats better if she dips. lol some of the comos were disqusting. We may be having chicken parm. and noodles. she will have hers all seperate and dip her chicken in bbq and eat the noodles with marinara seperate. Whatever gets it down.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• ok can u tell we've had food issues. something my dad always does to her is beg her not to eat her veggies cause he is tired of her growing. It is hilarious and your husband may be able to do it. he says please dont eat the green beans im tired of you getn so big. She will sneak more and more and giggle. It was very effective!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• That is my daughter just a wee'bit differant. I did the same thing you did. My solution: I make 3 meals a day wether I am hungry or not. She gets everything I make on the plate wether she likes it or not. If she eats well, she gets a snack which she now earned later. If she does not she gets no snack and has to wait for the next meal. I do not say one word unti she asks for the snack. I explaine, "You did not eat your meal so you did not earn a snack." No tantrums, no extra attention, no fighting. That is now it is. She has started to eat things off and on. One month she will love lettice and tomatoes and the next, yuck! She still gets it on her plate. The doctor told me once that their taste buds change every 6 months or so for so long. After a while it will become their choice - eat and get a snack - starve and wait. It does not hurt them at all.
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 9:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Alot of times it's a power struggle and age 3 and 4 is tough. My daughter went through that phase, and I gave her 2 choices, either eat, or go hungary, the choice was hers. I didn't make a big deal out of it. If she didn't eat, then she chose to go hungary untill the next meal, it was that simple. AND if she complained about it, I reminded her of HER choice, and that it's her own fault that she's hungary. She grew out of it and will eat most anything now
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2009