Please explain a co-op for homeschooling to me.

momluja

Asked by momluja at 5:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are a few co-ops in my area. I haven't joined any yet because my kids are still somewhat young and I'm waiting for them all to be able to participate.

Co-ops are generally run by the parents for the homeschooled children within the community. Parents can offer areas of expertise in a classroom setting. For example, a mom can sign up to teach some science classes to kids if they are great at science. This helps out the homeschool moms that just don't grasp those ideas so well. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses. Usually when you join a co-op, you pay a fee. The fees range greatly in my area. For one co-op it is only $40 for the year. For another co-op it is over $100. The fees typically go towards the rental of a facility, supplies, and if they pay for a janitorial crew to clean up afterwards. One co-op in my area meets once a week and the other co-op meets 2 times a week.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009