Im doing a paper...should sex education be allowed in schools? Yes or No? Why?

K-e-r-i

Asked by K-e-r-i at 5:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes, because no enough parents inform their kids about it , and even if they want to some dont feel comfortable doing so or dont know how to go about it
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 5:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yes, with parental approval... I do want to be the go to on this subject with my daughters but honestly there are some things i may not be able to explain as well as a health teacher. But I do think that sex ed should be supplemental to parental input... not the only source of information for children.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 5:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yes i do. if you could see all of the pregnant girls like i do that come into the juvenile jail where i work you'd say the same thing.
    i had a girl just last week who was 12.
    too many kids having sex at young ages.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 5:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes because not every child is lucky enough to have good parents that talk to them and I think it would be better for those children to hear about it from a teacher than from friends that will probably just try to tell them about how great sex is and not really explain the risks. I actulaly think that the should be starting sex ed a lot eairler than they are.
    Anonymous

• Thanks Mommas! Im looking for more reasons! Im writing an argumentative paper on it and need lots of supporting reasons. We all know the reasons for or against...but Im having a hard time putting it all together! The more reasons the better...bring it!
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 5:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes, it should. I grew up in a very open family, knew about sex and precautions to take. My husband grew up in a very closed lip family about sex and he didn't even know what a condom looked like when we went to have sex the first time. I never realized before that not everyone talks to their kids about sex. If it hadn't been for my parents teaching me, we would have been in a very different position and probably more open to teen pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• Yes definitely. I think parents should be notified about it but i don't believe they should be allowed to say yes or no . Many parents either don't want to talk to their kids about sex, either because they are uneducated or uncomfortable with it. some parents actually don't want to have their kids taught about sex because they think it will make them more likely to go and have sex.The better educated our kids are the better the choices they will make regarding their sexuality and their bodies.

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 5:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes because alot of parents aviod the topic with their children, information is key to keeping them safe from AID/STD's, the younger the school starts the better, I think the content should get more involved as the kids get older.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yes because they need to be informed of STD's and pregnancy!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I did a paper about this last year and found studies from schools in Massachusetts where demographics were basically the same and one school taught abstinence only and the other not only taught about birth control and diseases but also handed out birth control I think it was condoms and the school that taught abstinence only had a HIGHER rate of pregnancy and STD's. I think if you use Google scholar you can find studies in journals so you have facts to back up your argument.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009