Ash Wednesday?

Anyone else attending Ash Wednesday services tomorrow? Does your church host a dinner before Lenten worships? Are you giving anything up?

RugersMommy06

Asked by RugersMommy06 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I usually don't go to services. We use to in high school. But I am celebrating Mardi Gras. And going to give up soda. I wanted to give up internet or limit it, but I feel horrible to say- I don't know how!!?! Sad!!! But we live in a very Catholic city that has tons of fish fries so we could go anywhere. I stocked up on fish today at the grocery store. And managed to break a bottle of cocktail sauce in our driveway this morning!! Thinking that might be a good symbolic tradition to start lent out on!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 6:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't understand Ash Wednesday. Could you expain it's concept?
    Anonymous

• We'll be attending the 7pm service. Not sure if we're doing dinner there or at home. Not sure what/if I'm giving anything up this year. I really enjoy all the stories/lessons during Lent & how the alter guild decorates, it's really beautiful for Easter.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes, we'll be attending Ash Wednesday mass at 6pm tomorrow. Our church doesn't host a dinner. We always give something up. This year our youth director gave the kids an idea. He handed out a printed calendar with the days of Lent on it. We're to write something for every day. Instead of giving one thing up for Lent, we do what's on the calendar. For example, one day we can say the Lord's Prayer as a family. One day sort through and donate clothes. One day bake a cake for a neighbor. One day make cards and deliver them to a nursing home, etc...
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• That's a neat idea Littlebit!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Ash Wednesday is the start of the 40 days before Easter. The ashes are burned palms that were saved from the previous year (that were passed out on Palm Sunday) mixed with Holy Water. The pastor/priest then places ash crosses on the foreheads of the congregation. **I looked this part up: It represents mortality as humans and in a biblical sense, repentance-sorrow-humility which is shown throughout the Bible with the use of ashes. Some people fast, some don't. It doesn't have to be the whole day, just one full meatless meal & no snacking.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes, I will be attending two masses tomorrow. I need to EM and distribute ashes at the morning one with the school children and at the evening mass to lector.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009