You were a kid once....why did you tease kids and why did you stop? All advice welcome, please!

My 8 year old is getting called a lemon head at school-we think it's because he's blonde. I know it sounds petty and stupid, but it really hurts his feelings. I have told him to be the bigger person and to just walk away and eventually they will stop and my advice doesn't work!! He has also gone to the teacher, but then they call him a tattle tail blah blah blah and it makes it worse. This is breaking my heart. I'm ready to tell him to just start kicking some asses, please give me some better advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was teased and bullied terribly while i was growing up for being a redhead and having freckles. Kids were terrible to me. My parents said all the same things that parents say, like ignoring them and they will stop, etc. Unfortunately, sometimes that just doesn't work. I turned out alright and it made me stronger. All you can do is be there for him and tell him that the kids that tease him are messed up (because this is true) and they have something wrong with them that makes them feel bad about themselves so they tease others. Make sure your son has things in his life that he KNOWS he is good at, things that he can be proud of and confident about. Kids who are encouraged in certain areas (sports, arts, etc) and have a good outlet are much more likely to be confident enough to let those things roll of their back. Build him up and make sure he knows his worth and as he gets older he will believe in himself more.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I remember getting teased for being short. I remember this one kid calling me "shrimp." I wasn't offended at all. I remember saying to him "That doesn't bother me, I can't help being short it's just the way I am. You can make fun of me for being short all you want." I guess it took the fun out of it for him. He said it a few more times but when he saw how much I really honestly didn't care he stopped. I wasn't even trying to play mind games but I guess if I was it would have been very clever of me!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I never teased kids that I remember. Maybe your son could fix the situation with humor? How about getting an iron on transfer of a lemon and put it on a ball cap? He could wear it to school to show he's unconcerned about the "nick name". Of course, you'd need your son's okay to try this. That will take the Mean-Fun out of it for the name callers.
    Anonymous

• Well, I did it when I was a kid because I was immature. Then I grew up, gained some maturity, and stopped. Kids don't realize the effect teasing has on others, so of course they all do it. It stinks that your son is suffering for it though. It sounds like the kid has gone through all the appropriate actions too, so I just don't know. Sorry! :(
    Anonymous

• i got teased for being fat mostly. i remember i was so fed up with it, that on 2 occasions, i actually smacked the boys who were doing it. but i have had my fair share of picking on people- i remember i used to "play" push around my friend, just cause she never did anything back. yep, i was an asshole at times. i guess i stopped cause i matured. but i'm nice now!
    Anonymous

• lol..your better then me cuz i would tell them to kick their asses...lol...

kids can be so mean...i used to "bully" but once i realized it actually hurt girls' feelings i eventually stopped....

adivce? tell him to tell them he doesnt care what they call him... his head isnt yellow so he cant be a lemon head...lol i dunno just shootin out an idea...how old is he?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I never teased anyone, I was always called carrot top... and was afraid of everyones come backs if i did make fun of them
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 6:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• He's 8 years old and he is one of the nicest boys ever and I'm not just saying that, because he's my kid-EVERYBODY tells me that. I just wish they wouldn't make fun of him. I feel so bad for him and I just want to make it better.
    Anonymous

• I never teased...I got teased and I just said "no Im not" and went on with my life.

Yes, it hurt my feelings but my mother was good at telling me how great I was and that they would get their someday,etc. and I calmed down.

Its kids being kids, its going to happen. I wouldnt do more than remind them how great they are and that someday they will be on the teasing end so just let it slide off his back and ignore it. Now, if they started beating on him,etc Id be busting someones butt at the school to get something done about it but name calling...nah.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Send a note, let her know you expect teasing to stop. Also let him know not to pay attn to that stuff, they are just being silly and probably mean nothing by it. He sounds easily rattled.

IDK why people tease. I was always teased.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2009