Bonding with your child

Im writing a paper about the bonds between parent and child and I would like the input of my fellow cafe moms.
Do you think bonding starts while you're pregnant or after you have your baby? What are the consequences for a child who doesnt bond with their parents at an early age? Do you think its important for a child to attatch to both parents?

Krystle21

Asked by Krystle21 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• During pregnancy about 20 weeks, when you see the gender....I think there is always a problem when they don't bond and start young.I think it is very important to bond with both parents. It's important to have both figures in there life there entire life.

PROBLEMS: fighting issues, trust issues, abandment issues, weekier then one who has bonded....
    Anonymous

• Research 'Attachment parenting' and you'll see how incredibly important it is to be healthy attached and bonded to your child.
    Anonymous

• or attachment disorders. Personally I think it is while you are pregnant, that's why women have a hard time placing for adoption, but that after birth is when the child starts really bonding that's why adopted children can be well bonded with their adoptive parents.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Look up "reactive attachment disorder" thats what happens when kids/babies don't bond with one primary caregiver. I bonded with my daughter while I was pregnant and she is always with me as are my older kids.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I didn't really bond until after i gave birth. I was happy and really wanted to be a mom, but for me the bond wasn't there until they came into the world. I think a child does not necessarily need to bond with two parents as long as they have others around them to bond with as well. And some might be better off if they didn't form a bond with a parent (like an abusive parent or one that isn't responsible in their parenting skills/not there)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009