My son is 15 months old and still is on the bottle , how can i get him off

My son is 15 months old and is still on the baby bottle , how can i get him to get off of it?

salenalopez

Asked by salenalopez at 6:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Chuck it in the bin and dish out the cuddles when he gets sad about it. A sippy cup will do.
    Anonymous

• Yep. What she said.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Go cold turkey. I had no choice with my DD. He will scream and cry but be strong. He will eat from anything when he gets hungry. Sippy are just as bad but its the next step. Just dont get the bottle shaped version get the one with the straw. Go Girl!!!!
    Anonymous

• I fully agree with purpleducky. I took our 20 m/o off for 3 weeks. He didn't take milk at all, not in a sippy with straws, soft-tips, hard-tips, didn't matter. Cups were for juice & water, but not milk. I mentioned it to our doctor when we were there for something else, and thought he'd be glad that we had finally gotten him off the bottle. But he said if he'd only take milk in a bottle, then put it in a bottle until he was 2. So we gave him the bottle back. I am not worried about getting him off now, but the dr. was concerned about him getting enough milk fat for proper brain development. Some doctors are different, some kids are different. Do what you feel is right for yours. Good luck to you! PS-His teeth are great, no problems.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I just recognized your name from another question you asked about your baby that is due in April and how this child will respond. Your son will most definitely regress once the baby gets here. I wouldn't even bother with it at this point, I'd definitely wait until he is older. Make it easy on yourself. Do what works for you, I wish you much good luck & plenty of rest. Bless your heart, you are going to need it.

good

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You could wean the bottle one feeding at a time. Start with breakfast and each day replace an additional feeding with a cup. The hardest one will be the last one so like anonymous said, lots of cuddles. Let him have a sippy of milk while you cuddle/read books before bed. It's the comfort he's looking for more than the milk itself.
    You can also fill a sippy with water and put it in with his toys so he can play/experiment/practice freely.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I threw the bottles away! And everytime my son asked for a "ninny" I said you mean cut and offered him a cup. He was upset at first but he would eventually take the cup!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son was the same to I just give him a sippy cup in the morning nap time sometime bed time now my is used to a sippy cup now put some milk in it or juice in the sippy cup
    mommy_of_jacob1

Answer by mommy_of_jacob1 at 3:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I had the same problem with my daughter, she had a bottle until about 18 months. Her ped. said not to force the sippy cup on her, that would make things worse. Especially since we had a new baby coming into the house. He recommended to just give her water or juice in her sippy to start, never put it in her bottle. The bottle was for milk only. Eventually she got to a point where she was only taking a bottle at bedtime. I honestly don't remember remember the sippy or bottle being much of an issue since we never forced anything on her. I remember feeling like she would never give up her night time bottle but at some point she did because she hasn't had it for several months now. Our ped assured us that as long as she wasn't going to bed with her bottle or using it as a soothie then she'd be fine.
    Anonymous