If you had the ability, how would you revive the economy?

I know where we could get some of our money from without creating more debt...reduce the paychecks of professional athletes, movie stars, etc. and give to the people and companies that deserve more pay. JMO.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Our tax money and the government do not pay athletes and movie stars. That's the hollywood followers and the sports fanatics that pay those. LOL I would take a look at how much money comes in (first making adjustments to taxes on business and personal income) and then rebuild a plan that uses ONLY the money that actually comes in. This is how I run my home. I do not spend money BEFORE its made, nor do I spend money that is not my own (called borrowing from credit card companies). What a novel idea!! That would take care of a good deal of our ills. At that point, the economy would have to correct itself. I don't think that is such a bad thing. We would all suffer a bit, but only for awhile, (and how much more and longer are we going to suffer with the exhorbent (sp?) taxation that is about to befall us? and the economy not recover anyway?

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would revive the economy right now by increasing the amount of tar and nicotine in Kools.
    Anonymous

• I would have distributed that bail out money to all of the tax payers and what ever they decide to do with it is their business, pay off bills, pay off house... Alot of people will probably use some of it to make a big purchase, such as a house or car, which will help the economy.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 6:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Immediate pay cut to all elected officials with a 5 year freeze. Cut to all services like meals and coffee in government buildings (military excluded, obviously). They can brownbag it and use a vending machine like everyone else. No military flights for elected officials, they can fly southwest and expense it. Immediate 5 day work week for congress. They must log 40 hrs of time either in one of their offices or on the floor attending to official business. This time can NOT be spent campaigning.
    The money saved from these measures will be used to cut taxes to all businesses that create stateside jobs. Then a tariff will be added to all businesses that have int'l 800#'s or transfer more than 10 external calls per day overseas. The proceeds of this tariff will be applied to a direct tax cut for anyone making more than $24k/yr.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• CAPITALISM!!! Not Socialism.
    soccamomma

Answer by soccamomma at 6:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• IMPEACH OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Hmm. Interesting points. My thoughts: More incentives for businesses to employ and buy American. Bigger tax cuts for the small employers, and re-visiting NAFTA and our current trade policies.

An immediate pay freeze for all Government employees, especially our lovely Congresspeople. Taking a hard look at ALL Government agencies, especially the assistance programs, and thoroughly evaluating how to make them more efficient and helpful to those that actually needed it (this, BTW, would create jobs in that people would be needed to undertake this process.)

My dream would be line-item veto power by the President; then I guess we'd really see whether or not they would remove all of the "pork" from the various bills that are signed into law (i.e. our current "stimulus" bill.)

I always find it discouraging to see Presidents creating NEW programs to help people...what about fixing the problems with the OLD ones FIRST???
    Anonymous

• Payroll Tax Holiday 2 months each quarter Corporate Tax and local tax incentives for any business willing to renovate vacant factories with a 20 year agreement to utilize and produce in the US Let Big banks fail. There are enough smaller banks to build a Stronger America Give Huge Tax Incentives for buying American Automobiles Give tax larger tax breaks for Americans who buy existing home in lo of building. One Time Educational Credit for those on Govt Assistance to take career courses at local community colleges with condition that they have 2 years to get off of assistance. Then give businesses tax credits for hiring aforementioned EdCredit recipients.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• sorry, my punctuation button is sticking lol
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No I would not revive the country. People need to get off there buts and do there share. Ummm pay bills, dont buy what you cant afford, etc. I wouldnt use my hard earned money at all. JMO.
    Anonymous