How long does it take us in the pursuit of happiness to realize that we have already arrived?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can appreciate it while still hoping for better things. My son lost his last grandparent last year - the only one of the 4 he ever had a chance to meet. I can miss my father and still appreciate that I have my son, but no matter how good things are, it will still be in the back of my mind that his grandpa isn't here to see it, and when all of his friends talk about going to visit their grandparents, all he has is a vague memory of a trip that he will probably be imagining more than remembering 5 years from now. You have to appreciate the bad to recognize the good.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Agreed! So many people spend their lives wishing for something in the future, or reliving/regretting something in their past, that they NEVER enjoy today! Sad, huh? I try to enjoy every minute of every day and thank God that I'm alive to enjoy this blessed life!
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 6:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think that the pursuit is part of the happiness. No one can appreciate the happiness and truly understand what happiness is until they experience many things during the pursuit.
    soccamomma

Answer by soccamomma at 6:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Sometimes it takes experiencing the saddest moments of life to know when you are truley happy. Those that could be happy sulk in sadness instead, and blame their sadness on others. They will never be happy until they change that mindset.
    Anonymous

• I understand happiness.. i look at it every day when I see my daughter.. but there is also always more to come.. so you continue to look forward to continued happiness in your life. It's that peace that gets your though those few bad days/months.. everyone has them.. it's how you handle them that makes the difference.. if you dwell on them and show remorse.. you won't learn, and enjoy the smaller better parts of what happened.
    Learning, and finding the happiness in anything, no matter how bad it is, is the key to finding that peace.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• So true!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The key is to live life one day at a time as much as possible. Keep moving ahead and appreciate each day for the little happy moments it provides. When you set yourself up with high expectations you often find yourself disappointed with the results and ignoring the little things that could have made you happy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2009