So conflicted!

I am officially a sales rep now... and to prepare I have been reading so much information about finding prospects, cold calls, email marketing, etc...and it's all so contradictory. One site says cold calling is the BEST and possible ONLY way to be successful. Another says it's obsolete and just annoys people. How do I go about finding people? Which method is the most effective. I started doing cold calls today and personally did not find it that pleasant, although not nearly as bad as I expected. Do sales letters (when effectively written) work if you know the person's name ur sending it to? How can you do email marketing without being a "spammer"? Ahhhhhhh!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have been hearing these commercials for constantcontact.com and you give them your current customers email address and they will send periodic emails keeping in touch...
    but honestly getting the clients to begin with is harder... most people nowdays just get annoye dby phone calls... and would not use a business that bothers them at home, however if you are calling a business I was a telemarketer and we did cold calling, all we did was ask if they would be interested in info (businesses only) on POS systems and upgrades... many companies said no, a few said sure, send it on... so we'd mail the info and a "real" salesperson would be given their contact info... that way when you call it is not out of the blue... it is to make sure they got the info and it made sense and to ask if they have any questions... so then you are not a salesperson, you are "being helpful"...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have a home business and I do NOT do any cold calling at all! I HATE that and I personally would NOT do it no matter what! I think it is rude. I wouldn't want to be called by someone trying to sell me something unless I had requested that they call me so I am not going to do that to anyone else! I will have to disagree 100% that cold calling is the only way to be successful, becaause I myself and many others are very successful and we do NOT do any cold calling at all!!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 7:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009