Have Not Been To Church In The USA Before

My dh and I moved here from South America 5 years ago. We are both Roman Catholics but since becoming US citizens have not attended a Catholic church here in the US. We basically were worried we wouldn't be welcome and wouldn't fit in. My dh really wants to partake in Ash Wednesday tomorrow and there is a Ctholic Church about 10 minutes from out home. Would we be able to go or would we not be welcome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It all depends on the area you live and the particular church. Like everything else, there are good and bad in all places. My advice would be to go. You will not know if you will be welcome or not unless you go. If for some (wrong) reason you should not feel welcome, I'm sure there are plenty of other churches that you could try. Just remember, whatever denomination you are, a Christian is a relationship with Christ. Whether human beings understand that concept or not is in no way a reflection of how Christ feels about YOU! You do what you feel is best for your relationship with Christ. He will honor that!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 7:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am not a Christian, but I will tell you to "GO"... you will be welcomed... just go....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Of course you will be welcomed go and introduce yourself to the priest.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Everyone is welcome in the house of God. Please go and don't worry about a thing!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 7:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Nobody would be turned away on Ash Wednesday - a lot of people go to whichever one is closest to work at lunchtime because they don't have time to go all the way to their own church and be back in time.

It would also be a good time for you to get to know some people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'm sure you'll be welcome. Many people go to Ash Wednesday services who don't usually attend Mass. And it would be a good chance to check out the Church. Hopefully you'll consider going to Sunday Mass as well.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2009