about my dad . i know i know

so i called the hosiptal to check on him and asked about the dialasys they have him on i figure if his kidneys have shut down the dialasys (i know spelling) isnt gonna work cuz i really dont know much about it anyways. but the nurse told me they would continue it til someone said that it is not what was wanted anymore. so am i wrong in thinking after that statement that it is the only thing keeping him alive? i just need to know? i am no doc but if any one knows anything about it i would love some input

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The way I understand it Dialysis is for people who have kidney failure. Your kidneys filter your blood, when they no longer can do that for whatever reason, you are placed on dialysis which is a machine that filters your blood for you. Most people have this done once every 2 days.

If I am reading your question right, then yes it sounds like the dialysis is the thing that is keeping him alive. If someone needs dialysis, and they don't make it, then their blood turns toxic and they succumb to septic shock, resulting in death.

Disclaimer : I am not a doctor, I simply am stating what I understand from working in the medical field for approx. 5 years. I recommend discussing this with the doctor that will take the time to make sure you understand all the angles of what is happening and the possible outcomes.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Damm, sorry. It sucks to be u right now. If your dad can still make rational decisions that should be his call, no one elses.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 8:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh, I want to add that I know many patients that, aside from their dialysis appointments (which can last up to 6 hours) every 2 days, with combination of a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle, can continue to lead fulfilling lives.

However, I don't know all the circumstances surrounding your dads hospitalization, so that is just a generalized statement.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009