Hi I know by week 16 you can tell the sex of the baby but before you can actually see it on a sonogram at what month is the sex organs determined?

NicksMom11385

Asked by NicksMom11385 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The gender of the baby is determined at conception. The woman contributes the X chromosome and the male sperm can contribute either an X or a Y. Depending on what type of sperm unites with the egg is what determines the baby's gender.

In the 10th-12th weeks, the external genetalia are formed enough to determine the gender of the baby by diagnostic means.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I know that male and female genitalia look the same at 9 weeks. I think you can start to tell the difference at 13 weeks.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Okay so you can't see it on a sonogram this early in most cases but at 9 weeks your baby has developed pretty much every part of every organ, its just a matter of maturing from that point on. i had a sonogram at 10 weeks and i could tell it was a boy just by looking at body structure. I dont know it was just a good guess. if you want to read articles about how your baby is developing just go to google or whatever search engine u use and search "pregnancy week 10" or whatever.
    BusyBody89

Answer by BusyBody89 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I had ultrasounds at 12 weeks with each of the boys...I knew then they were boys...there was NO doubt by what I saw on the screen. These three, however, are the exception to the general rule. It's more accurate to wait until about 20 weeks.

But sex is determined at conception.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2009