what do I do when my daughter contiunes to have problems with potty training?

My 2 yr old daughter was potty trained, or atleast I thought she was. But now after about 5 weeks with no problems all of the sudden she is just going pee where ever she is sitting. She goes poop in the potty every time, but when it comes time to pee I would say that every other pee pee she goes in her under pants!! I have tried the whole don;t pee on elmo or dora but that is not working. I took her big bird movies away tonight because she went on my bed. I feel like she knows what she is doing but just does not care. I don't want to put her back in diapers because I don't want her to think it is ok to just go back to being diapers... Please help I am getting frustrated...

hillandlil

Asked by hillandlil at 7:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Back steps are common and the reasons vary as greatly as the kids themselves. So don't try to figure out the "why".
    If you are expecting her to tell you when she has to go or to just go on her own, don't. Kids don't reliably go with no prompting until early grade school. Don't ask her if she has to go either. She knows enough now to know that going to the bathroom means leaving her toys. And who knows what will happen to them while she's gone! So if you ask, she will say no. And if she realizes she has to go, she will ignore the feeling. Simply keep track of the time and make sure she sits on the potty at least once every 2 hours. If you see her doing the "potty dance" tell her "It's time to sit on the potty, let's go!"

And don't punish her. I really doubt she's doing it out of malice or laziness. This is normal toddler behavior and she probably really can't help it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• She's too young to determine that she needs to go and then stop the fun thing she is doing and go to the potty. You will need to frequently send her to the potty. And believe me, you will be doing this for several years.
    Anonymous