I think my daughter is over eating

I never had this issue with my son so I do not know what to do.

The pediatrician told me my daughter only gets 3 ounces every 3 hours (she is 7 weeks old) Well the 3 ounces just isn't working, its like she foregets that she ate. anyways she is now taking 4-5 every 2 - 4 hours my MIL said the formula is not satisfying her to put rice cereal in her bottle, well the pediatrician said no way if she gets fussy after 3 ounces to just give her a binkie - well I tried that she wants nothing to do with a binkie and she screams until I feed her more. What the heck do I do, is the pediatrician maybe a little old fashioned (he was my husbands pediatrician we got him for the kids cause my MIL said "he's the best" but then again she thinks everything she does or has is the best) What would you do?

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 7:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly, and I will so get bashed for this, I would relactate. It is next to impossible to over breast feed a baby, and I don't remember ever dealing with the crying you're talking about. Sure I had a baby attached to the boob, but at least she wasn't crying :)
    Anonymous

• If your baby is hungry, then feed her. She is not over-eating unless she is spitting a significant amount up when she is done. At that age my daughter was eating just about the same as yours.
    This is one of those times where you know best...she is your baby. Is she still hungry? Then feed her, and screw what everyone else says.

Oh, and unless she has acid reflux, she is WAY too young for cereal in her bottle.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am all dried up how would I relactate? I am too the point I will try anything
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• SEVEN WEEKS OLD??? Please for God's sake throw this pediatrician out. I mean, I suppose if she did take the rice cereal in her bottle it wouldn't harm her or anything. But her digestive tract is definitely not matured enough for this yet!!!
    As far as relactating, try stimulation you haven't been dried up for too long right? If you breastfed at all you might be able to get it going with just stimulation. If not you can talk to your doctor about drugs or other natural alternatives. Do you want to breastfeed?
    Babies need to eat if they are hungry. Don't hesitate to let her take a six ounce bottle especially now that she is nearly out of this super newbie stage of 0-3 mo's. Good Luck! Let me know how it plays out!
    BusyBody89

Answer by BusyBody89 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i think you need a new ped. if a baby is hungry feed it. there is no right or wrong amount. you may eat less than i do and feel full where it might take me twice as much... at this age you cant be looking at amounts unless the baby is under weight. plus if you can get away with out a binkie than do it, who wants to ween a binkie if you don't have to... she is way too young for rice cereal that will only make things worse by upsetting her tummy. if she wants 6 oz and does fine with it give it to her. there is no need in worrying about her being over weight at this age, just healthy and satisfied.

setliff

Answer by setliff at 8:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You can re lactate by putting her to your boob. It is a supply and demand thing. Maybe other moms have better specifics. Here is a great example for you though. My first son was 20 pounds at 6 months old. He was BF until 4 months when he self weaned. He had 8 oz of formula at a time, and was never overweight. My second son I BF until he was 5 months old. He also took 8 oz of formula when I weaned him. He was 25 pounds by 5 months old. He is now 6 and only weighs around 55 pounds. So here is my advice... FEED YOUR BABY! However you see fit. If she is hungry, feed her. My oldest daughter never took more than 6 oz at a time, even at a year. What works for one child will not work for another.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am feeding her all she wants I dont want my baby to go hungry he just yells at me everytime I go in that I am over feeding her and its not healthy

JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 8:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If he is yelling at you for feeding your hungry baby, then it is time to find a new pediatrician.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am in total agrreance carolyn I mean we had other issues minor or course with him but this just takes the cake
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 8:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• my dear..feed on demand! if she's crying and her ass is dry, and she's burped by all means feed her..i remember austin about every 6-8 weeks went through a major growth spurt and always had a jug in his mouth! feed ur baby its wat mamas do!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009