• In the Spotlight:

Not sure if I can do this...

My SO and my daughter (from my previous marriage) are CONSTANTLY bickering at each other. Sometimes it seems "cute" like they are playing but most of the time, it is out of frustration. DD does not want to share me and thinks SO does not like her or want her around. SO just has a hard time being mature and gets his feelings hurt whenever she says anything about him. Just tonight, she was joking around with him and he snapped back at her "well, I just won't say anything to you then!" I told him he was being immature by arguing with an 8yo and letting her get to him. This happens all the time!! I have told both of them I am sick of it and that this family will not last long if they cannot find a way to get along better.

I really don't know what to do as this has gone on for a year and is just getting worse. I have told him my daughter will always come first and that while I will set her straight if I see her starting something,

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• continued...

that it is his responsibility as an adult to let some of it go and not cry and whine about it...making it worse.

What would you do? Any advice for me?
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I know this might sound stupid but I would have them role play as each other so they can see where the other person is coming from. Maybe even have your daughter and your SO and yourself try talking with one of her counselor's at school, maybe there is an underlying problem that she doesn't want to tell you and she needs that impartial person there.
    Larsbug

Answer by Larsbug at 8:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• hmm...not stupid at all. Interesting idea.
    Anonymous

• anyone else??
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• when you find the solution to this let me know.... i DO NOT get alongwith my SS and i argue with im til he goes to bed... his father hates it and says exactly what you do... But i just have a hard time liking this child- he keep setting things in the house on fire! why would i respect him... uuggh!
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 11:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I recommend book "fighting for your marriage" it has sections on issue of blended families, I also recommend cnvc.org since it specializes in folks connecting with each other
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009