Selling Car have Offer question...

The car needs a new trany or to have it fixed whatever. The rear driver window does not go down and the thing has two dents in it BUT this guy wants it for his DD who just got her liscence...he wants a beater so ..... Now... He said he can get the trany fixed for only 450 cause he's got connections an all that stuff and he offered to pay us $300 for our car! wtf? OH and we JUST put 2 new tires on it thats 150 for those. Is this a reasonable offer? I personally feel insulted.

MollyDB

Asked by MollyDB at 8:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well if $500 is as low as you are willing to go, then that's the point at which you say "No". Definitely negotiate for a higher price, but since it's not an urgency thing, then no skin off your back if it doesn't go through. Someone else will come along.....
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• What are you asking for it? The problem I see here is that you are trying to sell a car that needs a major repair, plus some other minor issues. So you can a) sell it cheap "as is" to get rid of it or b) pay to get it fixed and then try to sell it at a higher price because it now runs good. However depending on the age of the car you still may not be able to sell it for what you put into it. Just because he offered you $300, doesn't mean you have to take it. Come back with another price. Remember that the car needs a major repair and the fact that he has connections doesn't change the fact that it is a major and expensive repair, plus the inconvenience of having to get it done.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• DH has an offer for it from his work for $500 and that is as low as we were willing to go. DH wants 800 but I know thats just not gunna happen. Its a 1997 toyota corrolla. Good car...but still its older. DH said he's gunna ask 700 from the other guy but I think he's just trying to haggle it. I think he's really just hoping to settle at 600 or something. either way he promised me a pro camera with the money lol! he wants an xbox 360. We are not in a hurry to sell it really. But if they wait too long I"m takin it off my insurance cause we are not driving it.
    MollyDB

Answer by MollyDB at 8:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009