what to do about rude family members?

my husband is very very rude there for my kids are learning this and he will not change this just because people have betrated him and stabed him in the back for years. I need help.

teresa38663

Asked by teresa38663 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Are the family members rude or is it your husband that is being rude? For rude family members, I'd stop going over their house and stop inviting them over mine. If they asked why, I would say "I want my children to respect their family and their elders. They aren't learning to do this because others are setting a bad example. When my kids are old enough, they can form their own opinions about their family members. Right now, they're little and need to learn to respect adults. If people can't treat each other with kindness, they can't be around my kids. Sorry, I hope you understand that this teaches them poor manners." (I've had to do it myself so I feel for you).

If it is your husband that is rude, you just have to keep talking to him about it and working on it with him. Does he want your kids to have a happy, care-free life? Or does he want them filled with hate from situations they had nothing to do with?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• (cont.) the hate and grudges should stop with him. He shouldn't be passing those things down to his children because they'll only pass them down to their children so on and so forth.

My dad's parents made his life very rough when he was a child. They've since improved getting into their senior years and my dad has forgiven them. I've gotten to know them, regardless of what they did in the past, as wonderful grandparents. My dad's brother on the other hand is still angry at his parents and passed that on to his son (my cousin). My cousin doesn't really know his grandparents and hates them even though they've never done anything personally to him. He'll go and pass that hate along to his own children. It's a shame and a horrible chain.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Ask him if hes happy with the way he is ( i bet hes not happy with himself as a person) and ask if he wants his kids to have the same life .... One without trust and hope in people.... Theyll never let anyond in if they keep putting up walls of ignorance. If he fails to try and change go to therapy with the fam. ( its what i had to do and it helped A LOT!)..... If he wont than take the kids and say good ridance!!!! Good luck sweetie!!
    Anonymous