Potty training ?

So my son is 19 months old - I do not want to force him into potty training but he has figured out how to take off his diapers and a couple nights ago he took it off and pooped on the floor lol anyways he is very active and wont sit down he has energy to burn, how do I keep him seated on the potty long enough to show him thats where his poop and pee goes. They don't make potty chairs with the bar that keeps them there and if they do I can't find one Also would it help if I took poop from his diaper and dumped it into the potty chair to show him and help him understand thats where it goes or is he too young to potty train all together?

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 8:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd was potty trained by 18 mons so no hes not to young get a potty and let him put stickers on it and tell him big boys use big boy pottys and if you can get him to use it reward him my dd loved when she was clapped for after she was done and now at 2 1/2 she still loves when you clap after shes done
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yes definatly show him where poops goes..also if he makes a mess..make him help you clean it up..he'll only mess so many times before he realizes hey this ain't fun.
    also pull ups, and potty chairs are a waste of time and money. With potty chairs you have to train them twice. and pull ups are just a glorified diaper! if feels the same so why would they stop doin their business in them. get him some big boy underwear..let him help pick them out and just jump in head first..as long as he's not afraid of the toilet you are good to go!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It will help to show him where poop goes.
    BUT forcing him to sit on the potty will backfire and he will resist learning far longer than if you wait until he is ready. My daughter is very high energy too and would NOT sit on the potty. I waited until she would - that was at 27 months. She was pretty much potty trained in a couple of weeks.
    So, if you want to wait, what do you do? Duct tape the diaper tabs.
    If you don't want to wait, just keep taking him to the potty on a set schedule, every hour, every day, until he is willing to sit there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son is 3 and he has the same problem he wont sit still long enough.. He will pee in the toliet jsut fine, but getting him to poo... well forget it!! I do try to get him to sit there longer by reading books with him, playing I spy, using flash cards.. Anything.. Just to keep his attention.. I also put a football on the shelf so he could see it and told him that when he poos int he toliet he can have the football..... needless to say the football is still ont he shelf!!!
    Mommy-2-Jabe06

Answer by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2009