only in the 3rd precentile

My ds is 6 months and only 13.9 pounds i don't really know why he eats fine but the doctor actually asked if i was starving him(in not so many words) I feel horrible and want to know if there are any tricks to help him gain weight... He eats four 6oz bottles a day and a jar of baby food and cereal for breakfast lunch and dinner, he was breastfed as well but trying to get him to gain weight with breastfeeding wasn't working to well. Any one else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep i had the same problem and they also accused me of starving my son. he was in a low percentile as well. the only thing i can tell you is once he starts table food-fatten everything (mashed potatoes, etc.) with butter. my son is 2 now and is finally starting to level out. everytime he wakes up at night give him formula or breastmilk which ever you are doing. once he is 1 and they put him on whole milk, keep doing the same thing. every time he wakes up give him milk. thats what the drs told me and it took a while but seems to have worked. he is still on the small side but its not as big of a problem anymore. i think last time he was weighed, he weighed in at 25 lbs. good luck and message me if you want to talk, i have been right where you are
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son is in the lower percentile for weight as well ... his pediatrician said he was healthy and that his weight was more than fine. Id trust your mommy instincts ... definitely sounds like your feeding him enough.
    jennie829

Answer by jennie829 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• as long as you are feeding him when he is hungry, i wouldn't say you are doing anything wrong. my baby is not on the small side so i don't have that experience, but it does sound like you are feeding him enough. however, my little girl ate this when she was 6 mos. (will be 8 mos. on the 1st):
    6oz bottle when she woke up(7am-8am)
    cereal & 6oz bottle(10am-11am)
    1-2 jars of baby food & 6oz bottle(1pm-2pm)
    1-2 jars of baby food & 6oz bottle(4pm-5pm)
    6oz bottle before bed(7pm-8pm)

Now my little one is an eater. She didn't always get cereal at first. It has taken me a bit to get into a good schedule with the cereal and baby food. Now her schedule is a little different. but she was eating more than your baby. however she was only breast fed for 2 weeks. plus every baby is different. you should be able to tell if he is hungry...but maybe try giving a little more baby food and one more bottle-thats all i can think of to help
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• All you need to do is ask yourself if he is healthy? Is he gaining weight, and that mean any weight? If the answers are yes dont worry. Some kids are just small, I have a hard time with them telling us that they are too small then turn around a few years down the road and telling us that they are too fat, and unhealthy. If he is healthy, eating, and gaining weight I would be happy.
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• 13.9 isn't an only...the weight means nothing on its own. Where did baby START?

Those percentiles really are useless. While breastfeeding, look for a gain of only 4-6 ounces a week. A bit more with the formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2009