5 minutes late for a Doctors appt and they made me reschedule!!

I just need to vent this out -I had a dr appt at 11:00 this morning. I walked into the reception area and stood in line to check in right at 11:05- maybe a minute before. The lady behind the desk was helping someone in front of me, and then answered the phone (while looking at me) after she was done with that person. When it was my turn maybe it was like, 11:06. So I said I had an 11:00 appt with the dr and the lady looked at me, looked at her watch, and then looked up at the clock. She gave me this look like, "you've got to be kidding me", and I said "I"m 5 minutes late." as in- c'mon, its just 5 minutes. She said "I'll go check with the dr." She came back and said "sorry, you'll have to reschedule." I was floored. I told her it was only 5 minutes and she said "sorry, I am not going to argue with you." So I just left without rescheduling- has anyone else had this happen, and am I overreacting? I was so upset!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That is SOOOOO annoying when they do that. I mean really when the hell is a Dr. on time...um NEVER!!! So not fair.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• (op here) I know!! I would probably have waited in the exam room until 11:30 anyway.
    Anonymous

• YES.......what the heck is up with that!! I was late once because I was in THEIR bathroom that THEY gave me directions to!!!!!!!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's frustrating when they do that! We're military and they want you there 15 minutes and when you're not they cancel your freakin appointment! But yet it's okay for them to keep you waiting for 20-30 minutes.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yeah, that sucks. I always wait at least a half an hour at the drs. I'd be pissed if they made me reschedule for being 5 minutes late.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You are absolutely right to be very put out, and you should find another doctor. And as soon as you are established with the other doctor, send a registered letter to the old doctor and explain why you left. The only way this would have been remotely fair would have been if your appointments were always exactly on time in the past and you were seeing the doctor at the exact moment that your appointment was for and never had to wait. In fact, I think you should call and ask to speak to the doctor and keep calling until you get him or her. When you were late they must have moved somebody into your slot, and you could have had theirs. That just isn't right. I had something similar happen, I arrived on time but had to wait in line and was thus late by their rules, and I got a fisheye, but at least they didn't cancel my appointment.

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• That only happened to me one time in my life. I had already driven over 100 miles to see this specialist. I think I was 10 minutes late for my scheduled appt. When the nurse called me up to weigh me she started out to give me a speech about being late for an appt. I totally came unglued and gave her a speech she probably will never forget. When we walked down the hall to the examining room and went in I continued to tell her that I had been seeing this doctor for over 8 years and I would not be treated in such manner. When my Doctor came in I knew he had heard me as we past him in the hallway. I did not bring the subject up. When I went back a few months later that particular nurse was no longer there.
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 8:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You would have waited for 10-20 minb. OR MORE so i don't see why you'd be cancelled. That's just rude. Doctors are always behind schedule!
    Anonymous

• No, I have never had a dr do that. I can't really remember being late to an appt, but I am sure it has happened, and considering they are ALWAYS behind anyway, they have never said anything. You better believe I would make a scene if they turned me away for being FIVE minutes late. Ten, maybe I could understand, but FIVE??!!!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ugh I meant to say 15 min early!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009