Is it bad that she isn't in preschool?

Our daughter will be 4 in July and she isn't enrolled in preschool. We haven't been able to afford it until recently, and I'm trying to find a pre-school for her now. She can count to 20, knows her ABC's (but not the characters themselves just the song), shapes, and colors.
I just hope she isn't too far behind the other kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• She doesn't need to go to preschool. If I were you though, I would talk to the school she will attend and find out what she needs to know before entering Kindergarten. That may give you a better idea about where you need to focus your attention and teach her before she goes to school.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• She doesn't HAVE to go to preschool and most don't go until their 4 anyway. Most kids in preschool don't know their letters, number, colors or shapes.

Whether she goes to preschool or not, I would start helping her to learn her letters. Singing the song isn't knowing her letters....she should be able to recognize her letters and write her name for kindergarten.

I would check your school district's website. They may have the kindergarten curriculum and/or information for a preschool through the district (and thus, free).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Look in to the VPK. Its pre k for free. Here in Flroida alot of the preschools and daycares offer it.. Heck its free, why pay for it..

My son jsut turned 3 and he can cound to like 35 and knows his abc's and can recognize alot of the letters. But I work with him alot.. We read a ton of books and we use flash cards.. Oh and Noggin channel and Sprout help out to I cant take all the credit..

No it isnt bad!!
    Mommy-2-Jabe06

Answer by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Get the outline from a handful of preschools (ciriculum) and teach her some of the concepts they are following. She doesn't have to be in school. It's good for socialization. Learning to hold a pen and write her name would be nice by the end of the year but not a must.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No. my twins are not in a structured preschool. Instead, they go to my friends house who has a daycare for three hours every other day. This is where they play with new friends and do crafts. It is also not as expensive as a preschool (which is not mandatory).
    twicebabiesmom

Answer by twicebabiesmom at 2:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Nothing wrong with that. I don't think kids NEED to go to preschool. My older 2 girls went, though. My oldest went only because her 2 friends started Kindergarten that year and she wanted to go, too. I was going to home school her. She turned 4 in June and started preschool in September. It was only 2 days a week, 1 1/2 hours each day.
    My middle daughter went last year because she was starting kindy in the fall and was terrified of being away from us. She started in January and was 5 and went to the same place my oldest did.
    My son never went. He's in 1st grade now. My youngest might be going in the fall. She will be 3 in April and is DEMANDING to go to school like her siblings.
    The point of preschool is to teach kids how to sit in a class, get along with others and listen to teachers. Learning ABCs is just a perk.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• As long as your child interacts with her peers on a fairly regular basis, she is learning how to socialize and empathize (VERY) important...I'm sure you're doing all the basics, reading to her, preschool activities, singing, counting, coloring, etc. My daughter is a kindergarten teacher and she claims a year of preschool is very beneficial, because most kids (at least in NJ) do attend some kind of program before K) She said if formal preschool is not an option, you should be doing a lot of reading and appropriate activity at home, with other children in your neighborhood, etc. She recommended the preschool Milton Bradley games for coordination, etc., like COOTIE, etc., doing age appropriate puzzles, and preschool musical instruments. Hope this helps.
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am unofficially homeschooling my daughter. Shes 3. They wouldn't let her into school, shes going to start preschool this November 2010 when she turns 4. So no, its not bad that your child is not in school.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 7:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2009