5 week old and a 99.3 temperature

is this normal for a 5 week old?

Mommy2Be1212009

Asked by Mommy2Be1212009 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I assume at 5 weeks old this is a rectal temp, so it's really 98.3 ...so yes I would say normal. I know "is rectal temperature really normal temp" is the subject of much debate but all of the pediatricians we have had have still said to subtract a degree when it's rectal.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My pediatrician and nurse's training says rectal is the most acurate of your actual core temperature. I've never been told to subtract a degree. 99.3 is not worrysome. If it gets above100.4 is when you should consider adminstering some Tylenol. 5 week olds can have a half a dose of tylenol (concentrated infant drops).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• That is a normal temperature.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Totally normal. I wouldn't give Tylenol however, not because it's not safe but because a low grade temp is the bodies natural way off fighting off infection. Plus the earlier you start giving meds, the earlier their bodies may build up an immunity to them. No meds is best in my opinion, unless absolutely needed.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My pediatrician informed me that if the baby's temperature became above 100.4 to take them immediately to the doctor's office or ER. Anything below that is usually considered normal.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Rectal Temp below 100.5 is Normal Anything else take them to the Doc. or ER. Which ever is open. Good Luck=)

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 7:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2009