I need to get my 7 month old breastfed son on a schedule. Anyone have suggestions or one of their own they can share?? Im bad at this kinda thing but ive heard its good for the baby. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• from what I understand a feeding schedule for a breastfed baby is GOOD for mom, BF babies can not go as long as formula fed if the baby is soley BF. I hope you get some more useful answers than mine....I fed on demand, it was a schedule LOL, just his and not mine
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• have you startted solids yet? I have started with my 6m/o BF baby and it keeps her satisfied longer. We do avocados and sweet potatoes. and oatmeal for breakfast...as far as a schedule, you are producing milk at the speed at which your baby is wanting it so if you want to Bf then I would feed him when he gets hungry. sorry Im not a better help.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• 7am wake up BF
    830am oatmeal and fruit
    11am-1pm BF then nap
    130pm-veggie
    300pm-snack and juice
    630pm-dinner
    645pm-bath
    7pm-BF then sleep
    He wakes up once or twice in the night and nurses back to sleep. Lately he has been sleeping until about 4ish am and nursing back to sleep until 7. He also nurses sometimes in the afternoon. We just moved from 2 naps to one nap about 1-2 weeks ago and this has been working REALLY well, its just tricky bc I know he associates nursing with sleep, so its hard to get him to nurse in the afternoon when he's wide awake so if I have the time I pump and he'll drink it out of a sippy sup-I just hate to pump!
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to tell you, my baby is 8 months old
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Mine were always on a wake-eat-play-nap rotation that was in a 4-5 hour rotation (daytime 700a - 8pm ish) at that age. I would adjust it some if we were going out or if he was growing or sick. It was a routine more so than a schedual.  Schedual sounds to daunting for me a routine was predictable yet flexable.  Perfect for us.  We always new what he was ready for and what he was gonna need next with out being tied to a clock.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh! I did not mention I was breastfeeding.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i just follow kyrie's cues, and she has developed her own "schedule" that is fairly consistent. every baby is different, and has different needs and responses. it is good to have more of a routine, rather than a set schedule. breastfeeding on demand is still important for your baby. hope these links help! http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/schedules.html http://www.breastfeed.com/articles/issues-for-mom/right-on-cue-2757/

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's not a good idea to "schedule" a BF baby's feedings. You can create routines throughout your day such as, naptime routines, playtime and mealtime routines(solids), and bedtime routines, but as far as when your baby nurses, it's best to just nurse on demand. Try scheduling everything else around the feedings, just dont schedule feedings.

I tried scheduling my daughter's feedings for six months of her not gaining weight and me struggling horribly with my low milk supply. FINALLY I decided to *try* nursing on demand, and low and behold, all of our problems were solved. Your baby knows when he's hungry, and he know when he's full, so just follow his cues :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Schedules are for buses, not for babies. **smile**

That said...nothing wrong with the schedule you were given above...with ONE major modification. No solids on their own. They must ONLY follow nursing until the first birthday. Anything else can diminish your supply, and lead to constipation and/or premature weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2009