Why

I noticed that mommys where being induced at 36 weeks, and my sister got to choose her c-section date. She was only 34weeks. I thought you go to 40 or 41 weeks? Why are doctors doing it so soon???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• im guessing cuz most docs only care about the money
    i know my doc wont let me get induced till at lest a week after my due date
    and my friend who was due the same day as me her doc let her get induced at 39 weeks
    so eather its the money or they just leave it up to the mom and dont really think about it
    Anonymous

• It depends on a lot of factors. Induction reasons that I know of are if the baby isn't getting what it needs on the inside, measuring too big, if it's better for the mother (i.e. life or death situation) ... those sorts of factors.

I don't think a doctor would induce just for the money since that is illegal and can get in serious trouble doing that.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it's crazy that more and more doctors do this. It should NOT be done unless it is totally needed, and I mean medically not for convenience. Can't handle being pregnant u shouldn't have in the first place. So many women can't even get pregnant and would do anything to experience pregnancy.

Anonymous

• I have heard a lot of reason that include something like the doctor didn't want them to go into labor spontaneously.
    Why is your sister having hers at 34 weeks? That is really early.
    The trend seems to be to do a section at 36-38 weeks, when it is recommended to not do it before 39 weeks. My personal stance is that elective c-sections should be banned and "medically necessary" needs to be revisited. The US's rate is about 20% too high.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ap9902 - well I agree that they shouldn't do it early for money, I think that you are living in a dream world if you think that doctors (some, not all) are not in it for the money and know what will pad their paycheck.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• refelct1light, I could not agree with you more, as usual : ) . I'm sure we will never know for sure why so many doctors are putting so many babies and mothers at risk, but I think it's a combination of how obstetricians are trained these days and of course, for money. It would not surprise me if many of these doctors are being taught things that are not necessarily medical fact, and I'm sure lots of scare tactics are used... While many might mean well and are just afraid of losing a mom or a baby, they are really putting both at increased risk... that's why I choose a midwife!
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was pre-eclamptic and had to be induced at 36wks 6days.
    I don't know why anyone would CHOOSE induction. It is very painful as well as stressful. My daughters heart rate was so inconsistant then entire twenty eight hours that I was in labor. I definately want my body to do it on its own the next time around.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 11:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I notice more and more inductions and planned c-sections at 38 weeks when all the advise out there says its better to wait till at least 39 weeks. I don't understand it at all, for true medical reasons is different cause then its about taking out the baby ASAP in most cases.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009