Penicillin Question

I was prescribed 500mg of penicillin 3x a day for 10 days (for an infection resulting from an absessed tooth). This is the 5th or 6th day, I had a long day and forgot to take any. I just took my first pill (9 pm). I'll probably be awake until 3 am. Should I take the 2nd one when I go to bed and forget the 3rd and continue tomorrow as normal or find a way to take 2 more? I don't want to overdose but I don't want to get a superinfection either. TIA

Karinza

Asked by Karinza at 9:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Health

• You won't overdose on Pen VK. Sometimes we recommend a large dose to begin treating the infection.
    Once the infection has subsided get the repair done to the tooth. If you don't the infection will return.
    We see this all the time in the dental office. What pain relievers and antibiotics do is relieve the acidity in the infection so that the dentist can get you numb enough to repair the tooth.
    Infections are acidic and the anesthetic is alkaline. The acidity in the infection can cancel out the anesthetic and make it impossible to numb the area.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• start over tomarrow
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009