Fever of 102!!?!?!

He's one year and he's been slightly congested yesterday and the day before. I'm hoping his fever will go down after the tylenol kick in- Or should I rush him to the ER? I am flipping out with what do...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would give the tylenol a little time to kick in. Just try to keep him restful for the rest of the night. Do you have a humidifier? It should help with the congestion and also maybe elevate the mattress in his crib (by the head) that will help clear out his chest.
    I have also used baby vicks when the congestion gets really bad.
    Best of luck dealing with the sick baby!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'd give the tylenol a chance.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• don't take to dr or hospital til it reaches 103-103.5
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Agree with krazy but after 3 day of it going on. Fevers will go up and down, that's how they fight a virus. Just give him the Tylenol and give the pedi a call to be on the safe side.

Anonymous

• Alternate Motrin and Tylenol. Motrin actually does better as far as reducing a temp.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 9:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• A fever in a child of one is not considered high enough to worry about till it reaches 104 or higher. I went through this with my Son when he was that age and his Dr. assured me he would be fine and to bring him in if his fever spiked to the 104 mark. Just give him lots of fluids and rest. If you can get the fever to come down to where he is comfortable and is still running one, I would suggest NOT giving him any more Tylenol. Fevers are the body's way of fighting off the virus, or bacteria in our bodies. We never give, and never have given Tylenol for fevers unless our children were uncomfortable, and as a result, their sickness lasts a very short time. Good luck. Extra hugs and kisses never hurt either.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 9:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• A fever itself isn't a bad thing. It's the body's way of fighting the virus because most viruses can't exist at elevated temps. My dr has told me that when a fever gets high, above 103 as krazyash said, you can try to control it by alternating tylenol & motrin every 3 hours. You can also try a warm bath. If it feels warm to you, it will feel cool to your baby and may give some relief from the fever. Or even a cool washcloth on his face or the back of his neck.

Before you panic, call your doctor. It's always reassuring to hear from the nurse on call that it's not as bad as you think it is.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009