Sibling Teasing

I am feeling very overwhelmed. I have 2 boys M is 3 & 3/4 S is 2 & 1/2 and baby girl is 7 mo. She is still waking every 2 hrs to nurse, and S is a very early riser. I am currently trying to night wean her. To say the least I am exhausted. Here is my (one of my) issues M frequently teases S. He puts his feet in his face, snatches a toy and runs away with it. Makes really annoying LOUD noises in his face. I've put him in time out, but that only stops the action while it's happening. I've taken away toys - but he gets over that quickly. I make him sit with me and do nothing, but being up under me is his favorite place anyway - so that's not really a punishment. I intentionally give him extra individualized attention in case jealousy is the issue - but the more I give the more he demands. He follows me all around the house. It's never enough. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Thank you both for all of these suggestions!
    Anonymous

• Well I am sorry things are so hard. I don't know but maybe when you take him aside ask him if he knows why he is in time out and let him pick fair consequences. Time with you can be spent cleaning his room or for every mean thing he does do two nice things for example he takes a toy he should give his brother a new toy or play with him and apologize or hug. Instead p giving him special time make it where he is involved as a helper. Baths he can pick out both of their pajamas and get the toys and soap ready. Let him decide what is going to happen by offering choices beforehand so he is prepared and lay out the consequences before too an follow through. Hope something helps and works for you! Good luck mama
    kristalee83

Answer by kristalee83 at 2:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You certainly have your work cut out for you! It's so hard to divide so little time among three little ones! Do you have friends or family nearby who would be willing to free up a bit of your time? Sounds like M needs one on one time with you, away from the other two. It's really a huge adjustment for him to share mommy with any others, and now he has to share you with two others...Sometimes role play is really good at getting them to open up their feelings, and verbalizing them is sooo therapeutic for everyone. For him to tell you in his own way with words that he is jealous and scared you don't love him like you used to and for you to respond with a hug and reassurance would probably help a lot. I'm going through similar with my grandson, and I've been reading a lot on the subject. Believe it or not, M does not feel good about his behavior.Let him know you understand;I know its hard but he needs you more now, bless you!
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2009