my son is 2 1/2 and still wont chew up his food and he lets it sit in his mouth, how do i teach him how to eat right?

we have tried just about everything and nothing is working if u have any tricks please let me know. im sick of feeding him baby food he is only 23 lbs and he wont gain waight because he dont eat right

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 9:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has down syndrome and has some eating issues. His was mostly aversions to certain textures but by 15mths he was off baby food with a lot of hard work. He's now onto hard crunchy food and we are working toward grilled cheeses or sandwichs but he'll mostly eat anything now and he turned two in December. I was told by his OT that food aversions are kids biggest problems and more have this issue then you know. My son though had low tone in the jaw/throat area so this played a big role in his eating problem. Get your dr to referr you to an early intervention and they will provide an evaluation/therapy if needed for free until he's three.
    Josie395

Answer by Josie395 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You need to talk to your doctor about this. I don't want to hurt your feelings so I'm going to refrain from saying what I actually think....but please, talk to your doctor ASAP.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the previous post... talk to your dr about this. You need to get a specialist involved who can help you teach your child how to properly eat and may be able to identify if this is an aversion or delay in skills. Trust me... they'll be VERY helpful! Good luck!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 9:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009