Anyone else watching the show on "freebirthing"? What do you think?

Its a type of birthing that a mother does with NO help. At home, no Dr. no midwife, nobody but her and SO.

I think its crazy and pointless.......I can understand choosing a qualified midwife to avoid drugs and induction ect....but why choose to have NO one who knows more than you there to help? What if a problem does occur? I know my dh would have been panicked and clueless.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's how it was done in the old days. And people died a lot, babies and moms. Call it "population control" LOL!
    Anonymous

• I couldn't have done it. I ripped really badly and would have bled to death.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I could have done it..but I wouldn't want to. I feel safer being around doctors who have more education and, should anything go wrong, have more capability than I to help my baby and/or me.
    irishstarz

Answer by irishstarz at 10:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yeah I never would have been able to. My oldest was emergency c-section, my middle son had to be induced (he went 2 weeks past his due date and weighed over 8 lbs already) and my daughter was induced at 37 weeks because she was having difficulties and they had to use the forceps to get her out quick enough. I don't think I would chance it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it's fine as long as they know what to expect and have had their prenatal check-ups beforehand to make sure all would go well.

I definitely wouldn't do it though. Not without a doctor or midwife there with me.
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i think it's possible to find a happy medium.
    however, it's not my place to say what anyone else should or shouldn't do.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I had four babies and was very thankful to have a good midwife at a birthing center inside the hospital. At the same time, my sisters daughters are having their babies at home unassisted. My nephews wife's mother did it and her dad assisted her mom, so now she is doing the same. They do call a midwife to attend, but the fathers are being all prepared just in case the midwife doesn't make it. One niece had to be taken to the hospital for some reason, nothing life threatening, but she and the baby was released an hour or so later.

I'm glad that we have hospitals and good doctors and midwives for ME, but it really is a natural thing, so if someone chooses to go that way, who's to say they shouldn't? I wouldn't choose it, but I don't care if someone else finds it perfectly wonderful to birth that way. The folks that choose to do this are very healthy and live healthy lifestyles.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• you and i agree on something lifeasinoit!
    what an excellent answer!!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I cannot say that I would choose to do that, however, technically women have been doing it forever and hospitals are only a recent development.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• if I would have had to do it, it would have been fine... my daughters father is an EMT.. he could of handled it. Either than or I could have walked to the hospital.. it was only a block away. lol. So I wasn't worried about who or where.. it was more me worrying about how bad is this going to hurt and am I going to be an okay mama. lmao.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2009