Considering Military...

This may sound crazy...

But I am considering joining the military, but my husband is already in the Army National Guard. We have an 8 month old little girl. Are there any other families who have done this? Am I completely out of my mind? I love my daughter and have actually always planned on being a SAHM, which I really love to do. But all my life I have also felt like doing something more as well, like law enforcement or military. I am very young, I turn 20 in April, so I don't know....Any feed back would be great.

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Who would watch the baby?
    Anonymous

• I would suggest the Air Force. I have a son-in-law who is army national guard (just arrived in Iraq 2 weeks ago), a step son in the army, just returned from Iraq and one son in the AF. My exposure to the AF seems so much more female friendly. Even if you aren't quite "physically fit" it looked to me that basic wasn't too bad, and it lasts less than Navy, Army or Marines boot camp (check on this, tho i might be wrong.) Everyone goes to San Antonio for boot camp and my opinion is that it was a great base. In the AF it also seems you would be less likely to be deployed, and even if you did, it isn't for as along as with the army.

Now someone else's experience might be diff. This is just my opinion. I would have joined the AF out of high school if I had been exposed to option.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My sister in law would watch my daughter more than likely while my husband was working or at drill ( he is not active duty or anything yet) . I wanted to join the military while I was in high school, but my Dad would not let me... but I think it would have been a great expierence for me. I am just concerned about being away from my little girl.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Join a list of military wives or moms in the military here on cafemom. I'm betting there is a group where you can ask more and consider it more with better details.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I joined the army right after high school at 18. Almost 14 years later, I am still in and loving every minute of it. I have a hubby and 2 children. I have left my girls for extended periods of time. Its not for the faint of heart. I have come to learn that my girls love me and daddy, who is also active army, no matter what. We live a very good life and we make our own memories. No, I may not be at home baking cookies and waiting for them to come home from school, and they go to daycare, but our time at home is sacred and we have a blast. My oldest has lived in Gemany, we have traveled to many states, we get to attend many activites for free or at reduced price. It works for us and we wouldn't have it any other way. If you would like more info, feel free to pm me.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 10:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am a military wife and I know dual military families. I am not sure how it would work with your hubby being Army National Guard, but I would go Air Force. My hubby is Air Force and his sister's hubby is Marines, and we are actually joined with a Army base here in washington state. The Air Force is MUCH more family friendly, their basic training is a bit shorter, and their deployments are usually at max 6 months compared to 12 months and up in the other branches. I know if you are joining and your hubby is already military, they will make you sign forms like a care plan for your daughter, someone who will watch her in the case that both of you deploy. And after the basic training, they would send you somewhere for tech school to get training in your specialty. Depending on the length of the training, they may allow you to bring your daughter. Once you are done with training, most of the time is like a normal job.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was in the navy when my dd was younger, and I spent a lot of her baby/toddler hood away from home. Its a personal decision...you have to think about it, going to bootcamp, having to move becuase of where you are stationed, possibly having to go away for 6 months of more, depending on what branch you choose. its a hard life sometimes, but can be equally rewarding if your doing something that you love. Good luck
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 8:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2009