Can you admit someone into a psychiatric hospital, or do they have to do it?

My mom is a mental case, for real. she needs help bad, as many times as the cops have been called on her, for suicide attempts, nothing has been done. I am tired of this, and something needs to be done, she is very bi-polar, and i need to know how to get her help. she refuses counceling (she cusses them out)... BAD! I have decided to no longer let her have my son because of her mental state.. Yes, shes my mother, but my MOTHERHOOD comes first. I need help before something happens. :(

HaviksMum

Asked by HaviksMum at 9:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes you can have someone put into the mental hospital without there consent. on sunday i had to put a family member into one.v
    good luck also look in the phone book and call some hospital's most are open 24/7
    mommytwo5

Answer by mommytwo5 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think you need to get an attorney and take it to court, if you can have her deemed a danger to herself or someone else, you can have her involuntarily committed.
    Anonymous

• Some (maybe all?) states allow involuntary hospitalization if someone is a danger to themself or others. Suicidal definitely qualifies. You shouldn't have to go to court for it - if someone is that much of a danger, there probably wouldn't be time.

If you *truly* feel she is a danger, call the nearest hospital and they may be able to help you. If you just think she needs help, it may not be in your power to help her. But definitely, definitely do what you have to to protect your child. Just keep in mind, that if you do have her committed, she may not forgive you.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You can "302" someone (involuntarily commit) successfully if they are claiming to be a harm to themselves or others. This can be done via the hospital emergency room. They can find placement for your mom. If she denies wanting to harm herself or others and the facility cannot find a reason to hold her, they cannot commit her against her will. If she is acting dangerous and in a manner that might harm herself or others and is not cooperating with going to the hospital you can try calling the police to keep herself from becoming harmful. Those are my best suggestions. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• HAVE YOU ASKED THE COPS IF THEY (DEPENDS OF DEPT PROCEDURES) CAN ARREST HER AND TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL, OR YOU CAN GO TO COURT AND TRY TO GET GUARDIANSHIP OVER HER IF YOU CAN PROVE THAT SHE IS UNABLE TO CARE FOR HERSELF. GOOD LUCK!!!
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yes you can i did it to my mother
    Anonymous

• My dad left her a few months ago, because he woke up and she was sitting over top of him, with a knife!.. and yet the police wont do ANYTHING! they have taken her to the station a couple times, but end up letting her out within a couple hours! the way the police handle things disgust me. She puts on this act that shes fine, but behind closed doors everything changes.. Just an example, i just had surgery, so my sons dad was taking care of him, well he called my mom, and asked her to watch him for a couple days... well.. she didnt tell me she had him till the next day, and i only knew cus i called her, and heard his voice. she said my sons dad said not to tell me cus id be mad, well turns out HE NEVER SAID THAT! she even called my dad asking for advice to tell me or not! it was all a lie! I can handle little lies,but not when it comes to my son!
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 5:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009