im terrified.

I dont know if any of you moms are in my same boat and if you are some advice would be nice. My dd is 8 mos old and everynight i wake up and stare at her for hours on end and have trouble sleeping every night because i am terrified that if i go to sleep something will happen to her. I cosleep because she is not allowed in her crib because of my fear that i will lost her to SIDS. I lost a sibling a few years ago of a heart attack, he was 21 though not an infant. But i cant shake the fear that something will happen to her...someone please give me some advice cause i dont know what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the first week i but my daughter in her crub i didnt sleep at all my husband told me she is fine but what do husbands really know lol come one ladys lol butafter a week she was fine when just try it for one night and see what happens im sure she will be fine if she is 8 months hon its time to put her in the crib if you want sleep beside her for a night or two
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i completly understand. i really wanted to have my baby cosleep with me but i read up on a few articles about how dangerous it is for the baby since in your sleep you may roll over ontop of him or something serious like that. try sleeping for 2-3 hours and set an alarm for you to wake up and check on him... then the next day sleep for 3-4 hours set the alarm and wake up.. hopefully soon you wont be too terrified so you can get a good nite sleep.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Lots of moms are nervous about SIDS. You do what you can, follow the dr's advice about ways to prevent it. But being terrified to the point of losing sleep? You poor thing. It sounds like you need to talk to your dr and get some help for yourself. I'm not being mean or sarcastic, I mean it. It's not healthy for you to go to such extremes. Good luck.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am so sorry about your sibling. That must be so sad. I'm sure losing someone you love to a tragic event you didn't expect has left you worried about other bad things happening.

What you can do is ease your mind. Research the statistics. There are lots of things you can do to significantly reduce SIDS. SIDS is much more likely in babies younger than your DD. She has not had any episodes where her heart has stopped or she has stopped breathing has she? Those are the children most susceptible to SIDS. Discuss your concerns with her doctor and let the doctor console you. If you're doing everything you can to keep her safe and she is healthy, you need to let yourself relax and enjoy being a mother. Being stressed out isn't good for either of you.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• thats the problem even with her next to me i still wake probably (no exaggeration) every 20 min to check on her and im exhausted! also much to my disapproval she wont sleep unless on her belly and there have been a few times she she tried to sleep with her face in the mattress how do i get rid of that habit! she crawls and can roll over so ic ant keep her on her back
    Anonymous

• i agree with flmom. it sounds to me like you may want to find a doctor for you to talk to about this. I understand being worried. I have gone into to check on my baby some, but i don't lose sleep over the concern. also, you might find that her sleeping in her crib will help you sleep better. the first night that we came home and she slept in her crib was really hard (i didnt even have baby monitors - my ears were on overdrive for the first few months lol), but it was worth it and she has done great. i really reccommend that you go talk to someone. There is nothing wrong in doing so. anything that helps you will help your baby. Your baby will be happier if you are happier. :-)

Good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• oh mama i am sorry i was paranoid about other things when my girls were babies but the sleeping situation did bother me. It got to where if I was too afraid I would sleep on the floor beside her crib. that is not fun or comfortable. what got me was going to the store I would worry about what if someone took my baby or the diaper bag. the diaper bag was a lot more common paranoia than the baby paranoia. I could only think about being stuck at walmart with a crying baby with a dirty diaper and no way home. lol nothing was taken though
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 9:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was so worried about my first. I would walk into his room to get him and he would not budge and be just so still my heart would stop for a min until I saw a breath! It is normal to worry but if it is to the point that you are having trouble sleeping then i would mention it to a doctor they may have some good advice for you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• We got a baby monitor that will beep and vibrate if he stops breathing. We've had a couple of false alarms when he rolls to a corner of the crib, but it really makes me feel better than if we only had a sound monitor.
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/co-sleeping-benefits.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/co_slepping.html
    http://www.theattachedparent.com/15/the-benefits-of-co-sleeping/
    Anonymous