3 year old sociopath?

My three year old just told me he wanted to see my blood. help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Unless he had a knife in his hand at the time, I wouldn't worry about it. Chalk it up to preschool curiosity. And maybe stop taking him so seriously?
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with above. I have two boys and they are into that stuff doesn't mean anything bad.

Anonymous

• Awww :-( Sociopathy is the complete lack of conscience and the inability to naturally be able to tell right from wrong. Unless you've noticed other instances where he said or did something disturbing (not understanding a moral concept, not being remorseful of doing something wrong, wanting to harm others or pets), I think he'll be fine. He may have just said it out of anger (and possibly was copying from somewhere he heard it?) or was honestly being curious? Poor you, I'm sure it is unnerving.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• it just stunned me. I sat him in time out and he told me he wanted to see my blood on my face.
    Anonymous

• he's also been having ALOT of issues at daycare. Today he threw a chair at his teacher and poked another kid in the eye for no apparant reason.
    Anonymous

• Is there something going on at home, something that may be stressing him out, and this is his way of showing it?
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Did you ask him what blood is? Don't laugh - kids hear things and repeat things, but that doesn't mean they know what the things actually are. Find out from him what he means, where he heard it from and why he would want to see blood, especially when it would mean you getting hurt. He may not associate blood with injury/being hurt.

What was the context in which he made the statement - was he angry? was he playing? was he watching TV?

If he has behavioral issues beyond discipline, have you monitored his diet, triggers, stress factors, environmental issues to see if any of these things affect his behavior? Try journaling his diet, activities and behavior for a couple of weeks and see if you can find any patterns.

If you're really concerned, call you pediatrician and/or a child therapist and see what they would recommend.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• He does not watch tv. He was angry that I put him in time out. He does know what blood is since he gets frequent nose blleds. I'll try journaling the diet.
    Anonymous

I know another mother who has a son that started this way. He was diagnosed with bipolar or something at age 5 or 6. He has had a LOT of problems with school and supervised care. She has to stay home to take care of him and her other son.
    I would see a child psychiatrist, I don't think I am overreacting either. I suffer from mental illness as well, so I have met many with these problems.
    Littlejem

Answer by Littlejem at 8:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Has he seen a movie he shouldn't have? Are the kids at preschool sharing stories about things they've seen, or things that may have happened at home?? Their imaginations are wild at that age! I know how you must be feeling. If he's acting out in unusual ways (and only you know your child that well) then ask your pediatrician for advice. Perhaps he can point you in the direction of a good child therapist for a session or two to learn how to deal with this. It's really good that you are on top of it, though. I'm sure he isn't a future serial killer, though! He's VERY curious and apparently fearful and angry over something.
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2009