What should my 3.5 yr old know???

She will be 4 April 29 and I am wanting to do things with her because she loves to learn. What should I be know at this age and what can I teach her at this age?? She can spell red thanks so her 5yr old friend next door lol. So I was thinking of making flash cards with three letter words on them to teach her to spell, but what else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't feel the flashcards are a bad idea - the $1 rack at target has a bunch of packs - my son even loves to look at them on his own. You could also start working on writing...dash the letters of words and draw pictures of the words near it...have her color the pictures and trace the letters. My son is 3.5 and that is what we spend a ton of time doing.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 10:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• sorry I do not know why I hit anon lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Letters, colors, counting up to at least 20, shapes, you could work with her on cutting with blunt scissors. Do art projects (you can find lots of ideas online). Play games. And read, read, read to her. There's no need for flashcards at this age. You can work all these things into the time that you play with her.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Teach her how to spell her name. Even if its only her first name. My baby is 3.5 yrs. old and is doing well at spelling her name.
    Anonymous

• Flashcards at this point can be OK if you keep it fun and light. But remember, she has at least 13 years ahead of her of flashcard drills, workbook pages, and tests. Don't kill her love of learning now. Keep it fun and interesting.
    Instead of flashcards, how about sidewalk chalk, silly songs, even a hopscotch board with a word spelled out instead of numbers?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• mine 3.5 year old spells her name, and a bunch of other words, knows her abc's, 1-20, some spanish words, knows all her states.
    Anonymous

• Hello there,
    My twins are 3 and since they were infants, I had been having them listen to these shows I get on Comcast Cable (babyboost). In babyboost, my twins have been learning their ABCs, 123s, colors, shapes, animals and nursery songs. The best thing about Comcast Cable is, there are no commercials on the shows. This also means, your child will not be, as I call it, brainwashed by the media minds. All they have to do is watch the toddlers shows.

Actually, I still call my twins toddlers, not preschoolers. I consider preschoolers ages 4-5.

Hope this helps you.
    twicebabiesmom

Answer by twicebabiesmom at 2:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Work on her letters and phonics. Memorizing how a word looks isn't reading and won't benefit her at all in the long run (other than with sight words like a, an, the, is, at, in, on, etc)

In preschool, she would learn her letters, how to write them, the sounds they make and how those sounds work together to make words. (not that she HAS to go to preschool! just saying what they usually do)

While you're playing with her, play with letters, numbers, colors and shapes. I agree with the poster who said to keep it fun. They have enough school ahead of them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Just remember every child is different to and she may know more or less than someone else her age.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2009