How do I help my 8yr SD with her friend at school? HELP!!!!

My SD is coming home several times a week close to tears-if not crying. Her & her "friend" in her grade keep fighting. i am not sure the full story because my SD will not tell us everything. Her "friend" keeps telling her that she is going to call her mommy on her or even have her own mom call the principal and have my SD sent to the principals office. We keep telling her to ignore her, not sit near her on the bus, etc. I have told her that this girl can't do anything. I have even told her that it wouldn't matter if she called her mom. I am not sure what to do to help her. Its getting to the point where she is telling us that she doesn't like her school anymore (mom has moved her a lot so she thinks she can just switch schools - both her mom and i have told her this will not happen). I know that my SD is probably doing something being bossy, tattling, etc, but I do not want her to stop liking school becuase of girl.

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Thanks...I am closing this question. I just don't know how without picking a best answer...lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well, my son had a problem with a kid at school. He told me that this child was hitting and kicking him everyday. I wrote a note to the teacher to find out what was going on. She told me some of the things my son was doing that he of course didn't let me know about. I asked her to seperate them. I'm not really sure what happened but after that the two boys became great friends. So, I don't really know how to help you but I would contact her teacher to see if you can find out more information.
    Anonymous

• Have you spoken with her friends mother about it to try and find out exactly what is going on?
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 11:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i haven't talked to the girls mom because i have been afraid that intervening too much would do more harm (didn't want to embarrass her...). The girl is not even in her class. She is in her grade. So at school the only times they should be around one another is in the halls and at lunch, but they ride the same bus. I asked her today if she sits near her. She said that she sits like 4 seats back from the girl, but the girl's brother sits next to her...

do you think its because maybe she thinks my SD and her brother "like" each other? i hadn't thought of that. because they don't have assigned seats....

i have thought about calling the bus driver though - but he is old and i don't know he is a strange. he dropped her off really early one time because she was misbehaving. luckily there is always someone home, but i went out to try to find out what was going on and all he said was the she gets hyper sometimes....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• So you know she has "issues" at school and on the bus. She has been kicked off the bus, she is bossy and tattles.....

While you do need to know the whole story, I don't see where you're considering that she is manipulating you. She's acting up at school, the "friend" tells her she's going to report her, your step-daughter comes home crying because "friend" is being mean....you take step-daughter's side.

If you want to get to the bottom of it, then either you or the mother need to do something to find out the whole store and put a stop to it. Either way...acting up on the bus, being bossy and tattling need to stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2009