My son is 2 1/2 years old and has the biggest tatrums if we go anywhere besides home

He totally freaks out and starts yelling; he's scared and starts kicking and screaming... and this happens everywhere not just one place... Do you know whats wrong with my child??

vfinch

Asked by vfinch at 11:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you talked to his doctor?
    The fact that he does it everywhere you try to take him - including the park or other "fun" places - is worrisome. For him to have that small of a comfort zone at this age is odd.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• How difficult for you..I would definitely speak to the pediatrician. I would also HIGHLY recommend a book called THE DIFFICULT CHILD by Stanley Turecki, MD, I just read this and I think it would be so helpful. Are there other areas of your child's temperment that concern you or is it just that? Is your child impulsive? Dramatic? What are his sleep patterns like? THese are important factors in trying to identify the problem. PLEASE get this book, it really helped me. You can even order it online and have it delivered to your home. If you have trouble locating it (which you shouldn't) please let me know. Good luck.
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i would continue to take him places, but start slow. first 10 min then when he does well longer
    don't pay any attention to his fits, but when (if) he calms down then make a big deal out of it.
    at first go just to the park that way he won't bother anyone when he yells- does he have special needs autism? talk to his doctor
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009