need to see a dentist, but cant afford it, what are my options?

I have several cavities and need to see a dentist because they are getting worse....
we cant afford it right now, and we have no insurance...what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Health

• If you can check out this program: Dentistry From the Heart. Click on "Events" at the top and see if one will be near you. We got LUCKY that there was one in a town next to us a few weeks ago. They did root canals, fillings, and extractions for free. Antibiotics and painkillers were included. They didn't ask for anything. No money, no id...no proof of income...no proof of address. If you can make it there, they help you as best they can. FOR FREE! Wonderful program. If a location close to you isn't listed call a few dentist offices around and see if they have heard of it and see if it might be coming anytime soon.

The location we went to wasn't listed, but by the grace of God I happened to call a random dentist to try and get my DH in and told them we didn't have insurance so we needed to know how much it would be. That's when they told me about this event! GOD BLESS! We go there at like 5:00 a.m because the doors o
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 11:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• pened at 8. They told us they typically help between 300-400 people. We were 5 and 6 in line and were done by 7:45!
    tandknix

• Also, call around. Some places will work with you and try to get you in anyway.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Where are you located? I have been a dental hygienist for more than 20 years. I understand you have no insurance but by not having your teeth taken care of now can turn into bigger expenses.
    Let me explain - the smaller the cavity the less expensive it is to repair. It might cost $150 to have it filled now without insurance. If you let it go until you have dental insurance it could cost you up to $1000 with insurance because the decay has grown and infected a larger portion of the tooth.
    Most dental insurance plans are 80/50. That means if it's a simple repair the insurance will cover 80% and if it's a bigger repair insurance will only cover 50%.
    BTW - I have never known a dental office that will work out a payment plan. It's the cost of dental supplies that make it expensive.
    My SO is a mechanic - it's the same thing - parts are very expensive. You're expected to pay when the work is finsihed.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2009