How can I keep from yelling at my toddler?

I have a toddler with delays, including speech. She's three but acts like a 24 month old. I get SOOOO frustrated with her whining. I end up yelling at her way more than I need to. What can I do to help me keep from doing this? My mom yelled at my brother and me growing up and I don't want to be like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• hugsGenerations change! so, for starters you have that on your side. Take a deep breath!. Babies whine they don't stop sometimes until they are 6 7 or 8 really.... Its also a different kind of whine each year. Know that it is age appropriate, but make it known that it is no way to communicate. Try Try your best to teach your child by your example. It really takes a lot of patience but it is worth it in the end. Use works like, "please choose better words" and keep saying this often. You have to be consistent, babies respond to the same words over and over again, like, if you write on the wall with the crayon you cannot have to thecrayon and we will try again tomorrow. Good luck! P.,S. have some cheese with that WINE!! LOL

pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 11:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Hi mom,

I am like you, my dd is 3.5 and she acts more like 2. She has speech delays and pdd. (autistic tendancies)

Is your dd in any kind of intervention for her delays. If not, ask your pediatrician to recommend some for you. Most are FREE. and they really give parents tools on how to work with your child.

Her whining is most likely coming from her lack of speech. She knows what she wants to say, she just cant get it out. (like my dd)

Your job as mom, is to help her find other ways to communicate. I have taught my dd SOME sign. And we put up picture charts. For instance, a laminated pic. of a snack or juice. Teach her when she wants those things to point and show you. Eventually you begin to add words. Like: juice.

My dd has come a LONGGGGG way. But I have worked with her everyday, all day. So have her teachers. Message me if you want. I will try to check it later tommorow.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Thanks. She is in therapies and has been since 10 months. She does use her words, but only about half the time, the rest is whining. I'm just trying to stop and think before I get mad. It can't be easy for her to not be able to communicate efficiently.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Every once in a while I will get so fed up and yell at my daughter. I know I shouldn't, but I'm imperfect. I try to reason with her most the time as best as possible, but if I lose it and yell at her, I MAKE SURE that I tell her that I'm sorry for yelling at her and that mommy shouldn't do that. I make sure I apologize so she knows that it's wrong and that I'm sorry.
    emilyschildcare

Answer by emilyschildcare at 2:21 AM on Feb. 25, 2009